Looking to try and go even more green next year

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
joeengler said:
With all the RGB stuff running on 12v and 5v, I was thinking can we use a small solar setup to power the lights. I know I would need several batteries, I saw this set which started me thinking http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-50048-60-Watt-Solar-Charging/dp/B000CIADLG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353623956&sr=8-2&keywords=solar+panel+50+watt

$250+ batteries, converters, cabling etc for 60watts peak charging.

I am sure your electricity bill for the lights will be smaller.

Also going "green" means mining resources to build solar panels and batteries.

Not to mention that without smart chargers for your batteries, they will die early deaths (more cost, mining, landfill)

I don't mean to stomp on your idea, but going "green" requires more thought than just putting a solar panel up.

/mean rant

Bird

LOR user
joeengler said:
I was thinking can we use a small solar setup to power the lights.
Great idea, however why not think bigger. Instead of going green for a few weeks of the year, do a small solar setup that can be used all year long and consider it paying for the purchase of controllers and lights the other 48 weeks of the year. :)

924aussie

Full time elf
I know this is an old posting, but has anyone gone this way. Looking at having a Garden light display year long and just changing the themes. In a Church area not in a private house.

924aussie

Full time elf
YES,

Wanting to create a portable light display system using the Frames that hold water and or chemicals in.

We already have started on the tower with 5 "boxes" and are picking up a lot more shortly. All the frames are Pallets so a forklift can move them as needed.

At xmas it would be a tower and at other times reconfigured. Solar panels to charge a set of batterries etc in one or two of the "boxes" and the others just plug in as needed.

Alan

Attachments

• boxed bell tower lights.JPG
    boxed bell tower lights.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 14
  • towerbase.JPG
    towerbase.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Probably no reason you can't use a decent solar panel to charge one or more car batteries via a proper charger. Then use low voltage DC controllers (dumb or pixel) and 12V strips / strings?