LOR CCR alternative

jgp01

New elf
Ok I have a few questions about digital strips / pixels, If this is a bad place to start, I apologize and please re-direct me.
I am very comfortable with DMX and "dumb" RGB strips and actually use a lot of them in my display. Next year I'd like to add some digital strips / pixels, but the types and controllers etc. is mind boggling! Does anyone know any general particulars to look out for, or stay away from? Is there any pros or cons to any IC type (eg: 2811, 6803, 2801 etc etc etc)? Is there a plus to powering each strip individually or from 1 "large" P.S.? Is there a really good FAQ anywhere that explains any of this any better. Could everyone chime in for their favorite pixel controller or choice for lowest cost per pixel? (I'm familiar with CCR's and am very comfortable with a DIY alternative) Any Links or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Best place to start is with the ACL 101 lighting manual

The only thing is that the 2811 IC is now commonly used due to its cheap cost and value

I use the j1sys controllers (ECG-DR4, ECG-P12R and ECG-P2)

You can also get the J1SYS product matrix from here (note the J1SYS controllers support the 2811 chip)

Gilrock

Full time elf
Hi all,
I found this website searching for this exact topic. I currently have 5 LOR CCR's that I used for arches and one circle and I really would like to add a 12 ribbon tree to my display next season. This post gives me most of the information I think I need to buy the parts. I just have a couple additional questions.

1) For 12 ribbons the power supply you linked looks to be slightly underpowered so I might need 2 of them. Can you connect more than one power supply into the ECG-P12R controller card and how would they be connected?

2) I've been using Superstar Sequencer for my CCR ribbons. Can this same software be used to control this DIY ribbon setup? How difficult is it to configure the channel setup in the software?

Thanks,
Gil

DougieB

Full time elf
Hi Gil
I used SS to sequence my 12 strip tree this year and just takes a bit of copy and paste to get it to work. no big deal.
I had to power inject every 3 strips and used 2 PS's. Read the 101 manual for assistance on power injection

Gilrock

Full time elf
Yeah I got most of my questions answered in the chat room yesterday.

Looking at the P12R manual I can't tell how the wires from the 3 pin pigtail will attach to the board. I see what looks like green connectors with a small pin in the center...is there something you have to attach to the wire into interface it to that board or is it a screw terminal where you can attach the wire directly?

Thanks,
Gil

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The pixel wiring goes to the small, green 4 pin screw connector (shown below) which in turn then plugs into the board.

wiki-asset

View: https://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/File:Connector_3-5mm_m4-jpg

jeffl

New elf
I have been reading this thread and watching videos in the section all day and I now have a question. Are these two ribbons the same except for the chip difference ws2811 vs tm1809?

It just seams odd to me that the ws2811 strip is a meter longer, US $10 cheaper and would do the same thing.

ws2811 - Supported by multiple vendors but not RJ's gear.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

TM1809 - Used with RJ's gear or many others

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4m-waterproof-LED-digital-strip-by-tube-DC12V-input-without-controller-10pcs-TM1809IC-m-30pcs-5050/701799_425556741.html

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
No these are not actually the same, the TM1809 is actually a 9 channel output IC, so it controls each LED individually. The 2811 strip you linked to is only 10 controllable sections per metre, the TM1809 is 30 controllable sections

In the 2811 this would be the same as the 1809 http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLACK-PCB-5m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-30leds-m-with-30pcs-WS2811-built-in-the-5050/701799_684974109.html and this is 5 metres not 4 metres like the 1809

You can also get the 2811 in 60 LED/m control in a 4 metre length for $8 more than the 1809 http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLACK-PCB-4m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-60leds-m-with-60pcs-WS2811-built-in-the-5050/701799_700420631.html

jeffl

New elf
I'm confused. I thought the LOR CCR was fully controllable. On post #5 of this thread there is a link to a ws2811 as being the same as the ccr.

Does the Ws2811 come in a white pcb version the same as the black above fully controlable?

The reason I'm going down this path is I'm trying to figure out the same pixels strips but I don't think I will use RJ's smart strings gear. I'm thinking either Ed's or Sandevices.

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
A while back people were saying that the 6803 strip was the same as the CCR, but now some are wanting to say that the 2811 strip is....
The 2811 strip is a new strip. The CCR is over 2 years old....
I don't think that anyone really knows what the CCR strip is....

jeffl

New elf
I have seen the CCR's in action but I didn't understand that it's control was less than these. I'm not going to purchase any CCR's but I just want to understand before I make any test purchases.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
oldmanfathertime1000 said:
A while back people were saying that the 6803 strip was the same as the CCR, but now some are wanting to say that the 2811 strip is....
The 2811 strip is a new strip. The CCR is over 2 years old....
I don't think that anyone really knows what the CCR strip is....

yes we do know what the CCR strip is, it is a 6803 IC so its 5 bit dimming, but the CCR controller will actually send out the data to the pixels 4 x the rate to then up the percieved bit rate so it then appears to be more like 7bit.
I have 8 CCRs in my display but not one of those strips are being driven by a CCR controller, i am using the J1SYS ECG-P12R for that, i retasked my CCR controllers to now run each candle which are made of 6803 modules.