LOR CTB16PC 240vac output latches on - workaround

neilteo

New elf
Hi Yall
Thought I would share as its a pain. I have some plugpacks running some very basic xmas trees and also icicles. These latch on (easily duped with hardware controller test console). Anyway, plugging a boring old 7watt childs night light in parrallel fixes the issue (stays on even it at 0%).
But googled around and found this alternative and uses less power. 1uf 250v cap (Jaycar RY6950) and 100ohm 1att (cause I am paranoid) (Jaycar RR2550) both in series and then placed across the load, fixes the issue.
Neil

Christmas in the Shire

Apprentice elf
So, what is happening to me this evening is that the channels seem to be leaking. When the CTB16PC has power active, the lights connected to the output have a 5-10% illumination. I liken it to be a similar principle to a tap dripping water.
For some reason the channels do not close completely and there is a lower 240V ampage leaking out causing the lights to be just illuminated.
Is this what is being described above as "latching on"?
Adding load will fix this issue? Do I add load to all channels affected? That could be a little difficult to do!
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Christmas in the Shire

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
A ghost load (usually a small resistive load) in parallel with the channel output can help with this.

There can be a small amount of leakage through the TRIACs when they are off. LEDs only require a sniff of current to be visible at night.

A ghost load (incorrectly called a "snubber" in the USA) effectively shunts the leakage and prevents the LEDs from illuminating when the channel is off.

It can also solve the problem of channels not wanting to stay on when they're supposed to.

Christmas in the Shire

Apprentice elf
Right, so adding load is the key. If I add load to one channel will that effect many channels or the whole card? Adding a ghost load to all of the channels could be difficult to achieve. What I don't understand, it did not happen last year. Same load and no leakage!
Cheers and thanks
Christmas in the Shire

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I have the exact same problem here. luckily it's only 1 channel. the string on that channel was joinable so i added another string to the end of it.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I had this problem way back in 2008 when I first got the ctb16pc controllers.

The answer was a visit to Go Lo (or Crazy Clarks or Sams Warehouse) to buy up a few of the $4.20 1 metre rope light motifs, and plugging those into the sticky channels using a powerboard or double adapter. Problem solved.

I keep the motifs out of view of the display.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Christmas in the Shire said:
Right, so adding load is the key. If I add load to one channel will that effect many channels or the whole card? Adding a ghost load to all of the channels could be difficult to achieve.

You would need to apply the ghost load to every channel that has the issue.

Christmas in the Shire said:
What I don't understand, it did not happen last year. Same load and no leakage!

Hard to say. Can be affected a little by wiring layout, temperature, phase of the moon, etc.