1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

low voltage white lights similar to the RGB shapes?

Discussion in 'Lights - Store Bought and Home Made' started by nutz4lights, Jan 8, 2014.

1. nutz4lights

nutz4lights Full Time Elf

Would have posted this in the RGB but I'm not looking for RGB. Are there any non-strip low voltage white lights that are similar to the WS2811 pixels that are so common around here? Again, I don't want strip, I want the square-shaped or bullet-shaped lights, low voltage, but just white.

I searched Ray's site and didn't come up with anything, but I figure they must be made...

I found these on Amazon, but they are not the IP68 type housing that I'm used to seeing:

http://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdoor-Voltage-String-Lights/dp/B00AIAO6T8

-Louie

2. OP
    OP
    nutz4lights

3. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    So why just white, cant you just use all 3 colours together to make white, or are you looking for a particular white.

4. OP
    OP
    nutz4lights

Two things really, I figure putting just a white LED in the tip would be cheaper than RGB and the other is that I was hoping to reduce the channels required. For instance, if I use one of Alan's DC30 boards, I can control 30 strings of white lights or 10 strings of RGB to make white... right?

I am thinking about trying to wire up 30 snowflakes and should be able to put those on one of the DC30 cards with white lights.

-Louie

5. caffeine

caffeine Full Time Elf

Are you wanting to control each light in the string, or just the entire string on/off?

6. Superman

Superman I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious Global Moderator

Find Me On:
    you will struggle to find ip68 in that type of light and I don't it will be cheaper in the long run if you have to replace them every year due to failure. I visited a commercial installation on the weekend that someone thought they would be a good option and about 6 strings out of 800 were still going. not real good for 2 months work.
    these type lights will always state indoor/outdoor use. and will generally last maybe a couple of seasons.

7. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    I thought I saw single colour "channel letter" LED strings on Ray's site at one stage.

These ones seem right description wise, but the photo is incorrect? Ask Ray I reckon.

8. OP
    OP
    nutz4lights

Looking to control an entire string on/off for a snowflake wireframe.

Ok, finally found it on Ray's site, thanks to David's suggestion for searching "channel letter"...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/12mm-through-hole-LED-channel-letter-DC5V-input-waterproof-0-1W-120degree-beam-angle-50pcs-a/701799_314091359.html

Ray's don't state IP68 either though... guess I will email him.

Regarding cheaper in the long run, I definitely don't want to be replacing strings, especially since I'm wiring these up to snowflake wireframes.

-Louie

9. OP
    OP
    nutz4lights

10. Superman

Superman I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious Global Moderator

Find Me On: