low voltage white lights similar to the RGB shapes?

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Would have posted this in the RGB but I'm not looking for RGB. Are there any non-strip low voltage white lights that are similar to the WS2811 pixels that are so common around here? Again, I don't want strip, I want the square-shaped or bullet-shaped lights, low voltage, but just white.

I searched Ray's site and didn't come up with anything, but I figure they must be made...

I found these on Amazon, but they are not the IP68 type housing that I'm used to seeing:

http://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdoor-Voltage-String-Lights/dp/B00AIAO6T8

-Louie

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
So why just white, cant you just use all 3 colours together to make white, or are you looking for a particular white.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Two things really, I figure putting just a white LED in the tip would be cheaper than RGB and the other is that I was hoping to reduce the channels required. For instance, if I use one of Alan's DC30 boards, I can control 30 strings of white lights or 10 strings of RGB to make white... right?

I am thinking about trying to wire up 30 snowflakes and should be able to put those on one of the DC30 cards with white lights.

-Louie

caffeine

Full time elf
nutz4lights said:
Two things really, I figure putting just a white LED in the tip would be cheaper than RGB and the other is that I was hoping to reduce the channels required. For instance, if I use one of Alan's DC30 boards, I can control 30 strings of white lights or 10 strings of RGB to make white... right?

I am thinking about trying to wire up 30 snowflakes and should be able to put those on one of the DC30 cards with white lights.

-Louie

Are you wanting to control each light in the string, or just the entire string on/off?

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
you will struggle to find ip68 in that type of light and I don't it will be cheaper in the long run if you have to replace them every year due to failure. I visited a commercial installation on the weekend that someone thought they would be a good option and about 6 strings out of 800 were still going. not real good for 2 months work.
these type lights will always state indoor/outdoor use. and will generally last maybe a couple of seasons.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I thought I saw single colour "channel letter" LED strings on Ray's site at one stage.

These ones seem right description wise, but the photo is incorrect? Ask Ray I reckon.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Looking to control an entire string on/off for a snowflake wireframe.

Ok, finally found it on Ray's site, thanks to David's suggestion for searching "channel letter"...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/12mm-through-hole-LED-channel-letter-DC5V-input-waterproof-0-1W-120degree-beam-angle-50pcs-a/701799_314091359.html

Ray's don't state IP68 either though... guess I will email him.

Regarding cheaper in the long run, I definitely don't want to be replacing strings, especially since I'm wiring these up to snowflake wireframes.

-Louie

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator