1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Lytworx 2 wire LED strings Driver solution

Discussion in 'The Development Lab' started by shraps, Dec 3, 2015.

1. shraps

shraps New Elf

Hello Aus Christmas Lighting

I have developed a LED string driver for the Bunnings Lytworx and other brands that use an AC signal to drive the LEDs

As per the post by AAH about the lytworx LED strings from bunnings http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=6367.msg56786#msg56786 there is the delay for turning on the lamps with a normal ACSSR controller can be up to 1 second.

I have designed and currently testing a 8 channel driver card enough for 4 Strings of LEDs.

unfortunately it will not be ready for this year

It can be driven by any standard 5v output through a optoisolator, microcontroller to generate the AC signal and output to the lights with a H bridge driver.
    This would allow the output of a standard controller to drive the low voltage AC strings with no delay.

preliminary cost of the unit would be $30 assembled

Pictures coming soon

2. OP
    OP
    shraps

shraps New Elf

here is a photo of the prototype without the opto isolation installed

Any Interest?

Attached Files:

3. BundyRoy

BundyRoy Dedicated Elf

I've been hoping someone would do this Shraps. Let me see if I've got this right. I just power the board with a 5V DC power supply. It accepts DMX input from my controller to control the channels.

Is it 2 channels per string. Can the strings be made to twinkle or are they limited to either on/off and maybe dimming.

All my lights is 12V. Is it possible to drive it with a 12V power supply. I know I can use a DC-DC convertor if needed.

Thanks

Roy

4. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    Any chance of a connection diagram of how it would connect up shraps. At this point I'm guessing that the input from the 8 DC channels of a dimmer go into the SIL strip, power for the output strings goes into X34 and I imagine that's an RJ45 connector X41. What I can't figure out is how the 16 connections for the 8 strings get out of the board as an RJ45 plug only has 8 connections.
    Also will this handle 31V which is what most Big W type strings seem to use.

5. lizardking

lizardking IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT

Find Me On:
    lots
    lots of interest from here i am looking a net lights for next year keep us informed please

6. diyer

diyer Full Time Elf Generous Elf

7. OP
    OP
    shraps

shraps New Elf

Hi all

to answer your questions below is a block diagram of how it works. at the moment input is 10 pin plug and output is RJ45 (2 pins per LED string)

there are 8 inputs that will drive the 2 wire string lights hence 4 sets of strings.

Output drivers are rated to 36V using H bridge with output current 1A continuous so you could drive several strings per output. or lower the voltage and cut strings in half (I have successfully driven 31V strings at 12V by cutting into thirds)

Opto isolation used so that independent power supply (including step up) will not impact controller

[/size][SIZE=small]If the input is PWM then you should be able to dim it.[/SIZE]

[/size]I have not been able to properly test it under a sequencing situation also what connectors would you like to see on the controller?input - RJ45, molex pinoutput RJ45, screw terminal[size=small]

Attached Files:

8. lizardking

lizardking IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT

Find Me On:
    ][/size]I have not been able to properly test it under a sequencing situation [/size]also what connectors would you like to see on the controller?[/size]input - RJ45, molex pin[/size]output RJ45, screw terminal
    [/size]i have not a clue what else you just said but screw terminals and a rj45 connector would be handy
    [/size]no i have no idea on dmx but yes i am still interested
    [/size]

9. diyer

diyer Full Time Elf Generous Elf

Great work shraps,
    I'm not too concerned about the connections, it's easy to work around any configuration, plus add a couple of mounting holes
    Do you have any video of the unit in operation?

10. andrewa

andrewa Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    +1 on the interest of these type of boards