matrix help

lightheaded

New elf
Finally worked it out. Went the route of virtual strings. Tried to do a custom model, but couldn't figure it out. Maybe I'll try again later (knowledge is power).
Here is how i did it. Hope this helps anybody.

Thank everybody for your help

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    255 KB · Views: 12

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I am not an expert in this, but there are many things that confuse me about your setup. For example, why the 3rd part of the first string starts on channel 299 instead of 289. I also think if you let xLights manage your config this is going to be a nightmare.

I would help you with the custom model if you are willing to try that instead. This gives you the option for xLights to do everything... as you change your layout it will auto-assign universes, configure new props, etc.

lightheaded

New elf
I am not an expert in this, but there are many things that confuse me about your setup. For example, why the 3rd part of the first string starts on channel 299 instead of 289. I also think if you let xLights manage your config this is going to be a nightmare.

I would help you with the custom model if you are willing to try that instead. This gives you the option for xLights to do everything... as you change your layout it will auto-assign universes, configure new props, etc.
Looks like I typed in the wrong value. I'm going to change that. After I figured it out its actually pretty easy. I'm going to sit down and work on a custom model. I have null pixels in the middle of the matrix which I couldn't figure how to due that.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I started in excel / LibreOffice Calc, and put the values into a spreadsheet.
I didn't make "null pixels", I just put them out off the end of the rows.
The plan will be that we will not use them in the submodel so they won't light up.
Their location doesn't really matter. End of the model seemed like a convenient place to dump them.

Then, I went into xLights and did a create new custom to the layout.
Click to edit model data.
Set dimensions to 150 x 12
Copy+Paste the data from Excel into the custom model data area.

Now, our custom model still includes the extra pixels. We will make a submodel for that.
Click the dots for edit submodels.
Add a submodel called "Matrix"
Expand it to 12 lines
For each line, select 144 pixels, and skip the last 6.
You can do this visually, or type them in a formulaic fashion.

SetUpCustomModel.png

Or, you could import the one I exported for you. (See attachments.)

Now configure the controller connection(s).
Set the # of strings to 12.
You could check "individual start nodes", but I don't think you'll have to. Even division will be fine.
Set up the controller connection.

In your layout, add the Matrix submodel to the proper groups. Don't add the parent model.
In your sequences, sequence to the Matrix submodel (or the groups). Don't sequence the parent model.

Attachments

• Matrix144x12Custom.zip
    23.1 KB · Views: 4

lightheaded

New elf
Ok I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help. I'm not going to due much more than this. My display is more static. My niece wanted a shooting star. on the roof.

Attachments

• 20211215_215505_resized.jpg
    20211215_215505_resized.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 14

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Are there any disadvantages to the sub model approach? Not having to deal with splicing a bunch of wires or ordering custom from china is a big advantage. Do I lose anything in terms of sequencing/xLights/etc?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Are there any disadvantages to the sub model approach? Not having to deal with splicing a bunch of wires or ordering custom from china is a big advantage. Do I lose anything in terms of sequencing/xLights/etc?
I have not personally experienced any, but recommend you try it yourself in xLights (no need for any hardware to try it in layout, sequence to the submodel, etc.)

I do the submodel a lot with the singing faces when they are not singing. I don't like having all the mouths light up at the same time, so I only put the outline submodel in "all yard" or "all house" and it looks a lot cleaner to me. I also use the outlines for single strand effects when I don't have another suitable prop and I like the results I get. Have a couple props like a north pole with matrix... matrix submodel on that works like any other matrix.

So I haven't done the exact thing, but believe xLights will do it once you find it and get comfortable with it.

lightheaded

New elf
It is much easier with the sub model after I figured it out. I was having a problem with it till Merryoncherry explained it step by step. I was sequencing the custom model not the submodel. When I started sequencing on the submodel everything was perfect. I didn't know to click on the custom model in the sequencer to get the submodel come open. After that it will be easier for me.