Mega tree/Pixel tree - lights choice

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Regardless of voltage, you would be injecting all the strings from the same end. So each run is only 2.5m away from the power.

However 5m string at 5v would be fine with injection at one end anyway. I wouldn't go longer without injection though.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Ron/Kaden.

Just to clarify the setup-power thing in my mind. The first strip is hooked to an output and set up with data going up, the 2nd strip is then joined to the first at the top so it has data going down (I think this called zig zag). You said that if power injection was required it could be done at the bottom. I take this to mean that power can come in from either end, it doesn't need to come in from the data in end.

dale82

Senior elf
with my matrix I used the 12v strips and I ran 5m up and 5m back and did not have to power inject at all

Kaden

Maybe this will explain it http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=2400

That is me nutting out pixels

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I love diagrams Kaden thanks. So this is my understanding of what it shows. To see if I have it right.

1) All strips are mounted data in at bottom (so all going the same way).

2) you can connect the end of strip 1 (at the top of the tree) to the start of strip 2 (at the bottom) as this effectively only 2.5m apart and you can send data 4-5m max.

3) you only connect data and ground wires from 1 strip to the next.

4) you connect +12V straight from PSU to each strip. In your case you could get 3 strip/PSU before you used up the 85% of the rated PSU power

Did you stick with the P2 and run it as shown in the diagram or did you get a p12 and break it up to save data transmission time and risks with blown leds taking large sections of your show out.

Kaden

You seem to have got it now :) all your questions/statements are correct.

I use only P2s in my show :) they work flawlessly and are cheap as chips!

I would however use a P12 for a large pixel tree or a matrix as they are perfect if you need large numbers of pixels (2k+) in one place.

Habbosrus

Back again
I did a 2d ray tree, 12 strips x 3mtr high and was very happy with it. Unfortunately my video skills with my iphone are atrocious. You can see some pics here. I used 12v strips here. This is probably the best video I got here.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Couple more questions.

1) Kaden your diagram shows 6 strips but you used 8 in your tree. Could you fit all 8 on p2 channel and 2 PSU or did you do it differently.

2) Habbosrus thanks for sharing. Did you get Ray to make you 3m strips or did you do a lot of cutting and joining to make them up. What controller did you use and how many power supplies.

dale82

Senior elf
I am purchasing 2.5m strips from ray for my Megatree. and im going to be using a p12. I must say I kinda love the p12.

Habbosrus

Back again
BundyRoy said:
Couple more questions.

1) Kaden your diagram shows 6 strips but you used 8 in your tree. Could you fit all 8 on p2 channel and 2 PSU or did you do it differently.

2) Habbosrus thanks for sharing. Did you get Ray to make you 3m strips or did you do a lot of cutting and joining to make them up. What controller did you use and how many power supplies.
I got Ray to make the strips 3mtrs with pigtails. I used an E6804 and 1 power supply.

Kaden

I used 8x2.5m (4 strips) on one output of a P2 (the other output ran my roof outline)

That controller and strips ran off 1x350watt PSU.

1x 5m strip = 3.2amps (x 12volts) = 38.4watts (x 4 strips) = 153.6 watts total for the tree

A single 350watt PSU runs a lot of lights!

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Was thinking this morning. It must be a pain to program lights in tree if data goes up then down then up etc. as I figure this would be the simplest way to join them up. less wiring required. Seems like a lot of extra wiring and effort to go from the top of one back down to the bottom of the net one.

As a separate question what type of conduit do people buy and what standard lengths does it come in.

Habbosrus

Back again
The zig zag of the strings can be accounted for either in the software or controller, so it's not an issue. That's exactly how I made mine. I used 20mm conduit x 4mtr standard length. I got mine at Bunnings for $3/length

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Habbosrus said:
I got Ray to make the strips 3mtrs with pigtails. I used an E6804 and 1 power supply.

Ron, had a look at the 6804. Looks like a good price. Is it 3 universes/output? What sort of connectors do you need to connect to output. I see they are not screw connectors.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Seeing how close it will be to the road you might be better looking at a higher channel count to improve the image quality when using it as a matrix.

You can get ray to make these to the lengths you need and the colour is much better then his standard 12v strip. INK1003