Mega tree using strapping and strip light

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Sorry if this has been asked/answered or described already... I just haven't found it if it has.
My plan is to do an 8 or 12 intelligent strip light mega tree , approx 5m tall.
I have seen people using PVC pipeto attach strip light for some trees and packing strap for others although all the packing strap examples I have seen are using strings and not strip.
I can get 6m lengths of PVC piping (25mm) but at a cost of around $60 each! ( so getting 8 or 12 lots of 6m lengths is getting pretty pricey just for the bare bones of the tree.
So my plan is to use packing strap (blue thermatrap) doubled over for extra strength and attach the strip light to the strapping to make a flat triangular mega tree - hopefully to get a matrix tree looking similar ( although no doubt not as good) as fasteddy's.
I plan to run a few horizontal runs of the strap to help stop the strands from twisting.
Anyone had any good or bad experiences with this combination of strapping and strip light? Or am I barking up the wrong mega tree? :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365593912.544176.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365593912.544176.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 257
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365593945.120307.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365593945.120307.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 221

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Keep searching s there are some folks who have posted information on doing just what you are talking about. I don't remember off hand who it was but I have read some different threads on this way to do it as well.

Seems like it works great for them so you should be okay with it. One thing I did notice on one thread (I think it was over on the DIY forum) was to make sure that your pixel strips will line up when you set it up. You can do that by making a jig so that all the runs are exactly the same length and the pixels on the strips can line up horizontally. Also you want to have adjustments at each end of the strips so you can move them a little if needed. Use long eye bolts for the ends that mount to the top and bottom holders.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Hiya log

If you are willing to take another drive down to Takanini again there is a Trade Electrical shop that I get all my conduit from and he charges:

20mm - 4m -= $ 4.50 Length 25mm - 4m - = $ 6.50 Length

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
My original plan was to go the strips with the strapping but after some investigation i decided against this due to the way the wind effects the strips when held with straps as the strips can move around a bit using this method in wind.

I chose to use the elctrical conduit method as this created a much more rigid structure. Now as far as the conduit goes Shell is spot on for an average price, I actually get my conduit for around $3.30 per 4 metre stick. The conduit has a female end where you can then join another 1/2 stick of conduit to make your 6 metres. The 25mm electrical conduit comes in bundles of 10 and can be bought from any electrical supplies wholesaler. Ring around as prices can vary greatly.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
All the ends of my conduit have the expanded end like these...

PVC_irrigationPIPE_upvc_pipe_pvc_water_pipe_zps7958b90b.jpg

Therefore I just slot the next one in, no need for a coupler till I get to the end of making my lengths and have used up all the expanded ends.

Hopefully that makes sense.

barbotte

Apprentice elf
ShellNZ said:

PVC_irrigationPIPE_upvc_pipe_pvc_water_pipe_zps7958b90b.jpg

Therefore I just slot the next one in, no need for a coupler till I get to the end of making my lengths and have used up all the expanded ends.

i was going that route too but i find it too flexible over the 20 ft -24 ft lenght unless i go like 1 inch + but then price is higher than the metal emt at 1/2 inch ( 2 $ each )...and the bigger i go the more the wind will pick it up ..any other idea ??
cheer

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
barbotte said:
ShellNZ said:

i was going that route too but i find it too flexible over the 20 ft -24 ft lenght unless i go like 1 inch + but then price is higher than the metal emt at 1/2 inch ( 2 $ each )...and the bigger i go the more the wind will pick it up ..any other idea ??
cheer

What i did is i used some aluminium square tube and mounted this across in 4 sections and attached the conduit with some cable ties, this stops the conduit from being too flexible and also gives better support of the conduit and strip. The weather and wind threw a lot at my V2 tree and it didnt budge and i was more than happy with its performance over the season. Using steel conduit would end up making the tree too heavy to manage. Its already a 3 man job to stand up as it is using a 50mm OD steel galvanised pole after my light weight aluminium one failed. So weight is an important consideration.

I have a few pics at home which ive been meaning to post

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Ok, thanks to everyone for all the info.
I was initially going down the conduit line as I thought it would make the tree more stable but was put off by the cost.
My local Bunnings wanted $22per 4m so I tried a local plumbing store ( probably a mistake because now I'm thinking that stuff was all pressure rated) who wanted $50-60 per 6m!
Anyway, now that I know everything is cheaper in Takinini, :) I'm going to make the journey to your local electrical store, Shell, and grab some conduit as I think stabilising a strip and strap tree is going to be more tricky than using conduit which is already fairly rigid. Mine will be close to the house and using some of the house for support so wind will hopefully not be such an issue ( although it always seems to blow like.... heck ;-) just after I put my lights up.)

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Shell,
Where exactly is that trade electrical shop near you that you speak of? I just tried Ideal Electrical here on the Shore (figured it wouldn't be a pressure rated type and therefore might be cheaper than the plumbing store) but they just quoted me $31 per 4m.
That's a huge difference from your $4.50 per 4m ( the price you quoted was per 4m wasn't it?)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
logandc99 said:
Shell,
Where exactly is that trade electrical shop near you that you speak of? I just tried Ideal Electrical here on the Shore (figured it wouldn't be a pressure rated type and therefore might be cheaper than the plumbing store) but they just quoted me $31 per 4m.
That's a huge difference from your $4.50 per 4m ( the price you quoted was per 4m wasn't it?)

That is criminal, the most you should pay is $6 to $7 per 4 metre length depending on where you are located, but $31 i would be asking them how they can justify such a crazy price.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ShellNZ said:
The place is called Powersafe.

His name is Dean - 021-583072.

4m lengths of 20mm = $4.50
4m lengths of 25mm = $6.50

:)

You will want 25mm as its much more rigid than 20mm

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Ok thanks. I'll go with 25mm.

Shell, thanks for the name. Hopefully that's his usual price and not a mates rate. :)
Prices vary widely and wildly around here.
The quotes I have had so far around Auckland for the same product per 4m is $50, $31, $25, $22 and the cheapest from Cory's was $16.50.
Crazy variation and way more expensive than Oz or Takanini.
Time for a Road Trip south :)