Mega tree using strapping and strip light

logandc99

Dedicated elf
So I have finally, pretty much, finished the framework for my 12 strip 5.5m mega tree. Just need the 12 strips of 8211 lights to arrive.
Some may call it a flagrant ripoff of fasteddys 2D mega tree but I like to classify it under the heading of "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :)

za6ubu6u.jpg

Boof63

Senior elf
if that's the case re "flattery" then I will guilty also. one question logandc99 ,what is the spacing between the conduits at the bottom and what's the length of the conduit (is it 4m uncut?)
cheers and thanks for the info :D :D

logandc99

Dedicated elf
The final conduit lengths are 5m made by cutting up three lots into 1m bits and joining them to the standard 4m lengths.
The spacing between the conduit at the bottom is 11cm. Not sure if that's the ideal gap or not.... just used that because I had 11 gaps and went multiplied by 10, 11 or 12cm, I liked the look of the 11cm x 11 width of the base of the tree.
Of course we already know how well fasteddy's tree works so maybe his spacing would be good to go by.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
That is looking great and very similar to my build. You will find that it will be rock solid, but may require 2 or 3 people to put up due to the weight

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Yes, definitely will need 2 to 3 to setup. They are quite heavy! The top of the tree will be attached to the roof at a peak so shouldn't have any issues with stability ( hopefully).

logandc99

Dedicated elf
oldmanfathertime1000 said:
You did an outstanding job with this mega tree. It is gonna look great in your show......

Thanks. Just hope it'll stand up to the weather.

Adam007

Adam007
I hate to bump and oldish post, but logandc99 - what did you use as a centre pole?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The cheapest and strongest option I found was to buy a galvanised steel pole from my local steel supplier, I think from memory it was a 6.5 metre 50OD 2.5mm wall Gal tube for $60 and it will withstand a cyclone.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
logandc99 said:
Ok, so finally got my Megatree all hooked up and run a test using just a few of the stock transitions that come with LSP to see that is all working. Pretty happy with it.
By the way, the music playing in the video is just stock YouTube music to cover up all the talking that went on while filming :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PZnKer1_Rw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUrMI8DApZhD0Pi3r4v9ePKg

This will be a big crowd puller as the crowds flock to the tree like moths to a light

tom82

New elf
I tried strapping and found that it frays after a while (especially once the wind moves it around). Also, cable ties tend to accelerate the frays on the ends and I found that I couldn't adequately secure the lights tight enough. I reverted to using PVC coated steel cable which works really well.