Mega tree using strapping and strip light

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
tom82 said:
I tried strapping and found that it frays after a while (especially once the wind moves it around). Also, cable ties tend to accelerate the frays on the ends and I found that I couldn't adequately secure the lights tight enough. I reverted to using PVC coated steel cable which works really well.

The issue with strapping and using strips is that there is a lot of surface area that can catch the wind compared to using strings. The issue is stopping them flapping around and moving in the wind and that's not easy to do with strapping, I used 25mm electrical conduit braced in 4 places and still in the strong wind you could see the strip move a little but it was overall a much better alternative to using strapping which I had originally planned to use.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Sorry adam0007,
Only just saw your question today. Must've missed it on my tapatalk app.
I used a fairly standard flagpole. I think those people making free standing mega trees don't recommend a standard flagpole as the metal is a bit thin for strong winds but my tree is supported against the house and relatively protected from the worst winds so I hope it will be fine. Just discovered that the base of the flagpole fits perfectly into the base of our a outdoor umbrella stand which is made of something like granite and ways a tone so should provide a nice base stand for the tree.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
a5evysy5.jpg

The tree is up! But will it stay up in the winds?! Fingers, toes and everything else crossed.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Yes, it is pretty well anchored at the roof peak so I'm feeling a lot more confident now than when I first put it up.

AlexB

New elf
I've read this thread from the beginning and only just realised how old the original post was.

I wanted to add my own experiences to the acquisition of conduit for anyone reading up and considering what they should do, as there are some big differences in product for a similar price.

I've embarked on my first use of conduit this year for strip lighting on my eaves. My wife's employer has an account with Hayman's Electrical (typical electrical wholesaler) and they sold direct to us for about $4 a length for 25mm.

After cutting and joining all the sections, we discovered we were about 1.5 metres short (because of the bell-ends being cut in some places it shortened the lengths), and we had to buy another length. Haymans was across town, whereas bunnings was just down the road. It was only one length, so at $6, we just bought it there.

The problem was, where i needed a slight bend in the conduit from haymans, i had to use a blowtorch to soften the plastic to get the right angle. The length from bunnings was easily bent (to the point of kinking) with one hand.

The difference was chalk and cheese - it was like a garden hose to steel rod. The thicknesses and rigidity were quite different from each manufacturer. Conduit is only there to protect the wires underneath, so pressure ratings aren't important. Cheap is good, but consider the flexibility of the product if you need it for strength as the bunnings conduit (in my opinion) is totally unsuitable for anything where rigidity is key (ie: the mega tree)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AlexB said:
I've read this thread from the beginning and only just realised how old the original post was.

I wanted to add my own experiences to the acquisition of conduit for anyone reading up and considering what they should do, as there are some big differences in product for a similar price.

I've embarked on my first use of conduit this year for strip lighting on my eaves. My wife's employer has an account with Hayman's Electrical (typical electrical wholesaler) and they sold direct to us for about $4 a length for 25mm.

After cutting and joining all the sections, we discovered we were about 1.5 metres short (because of the bell-ends being cut in some places it shortened the lengths), and we had to buy another length. Haymans was across town, whereas bunnings was just down the road. It was only one length, so at $6, we just bought it there.

The problem was, where i needed a slight bend in the conduit from haymans, i had to use a blowtorch to soften the plastic to get the right angle. The length from bunnings was easily bent (to the point of kinking) with one hand.

The difference was chalk and cheese - it was like a garden hose to steel rod. The thicknesses and rigidity were quite different from each manufacturer. Conduit is only there to protect the wires underneath, so pressure ratings aren't important. Cheap is good, but consider the flexibility of the product if you need it for strength as the bunnings conduit (in my opinion) is totally unsuitable for anything where rigidity is key (ie: the mega tree)

To bend conduit or infact most pipes it is best done with a bending spring in the centre. If you don't use a bending spring and use heat instead then you cant get much of a bend before you see kinking and flattening of the bend diameter.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I've bent conduit by putting sand in a foil tray in the oven getting it hot. Then pouring the hot sand inside the conduit. Bend it to whatever shape then leave it to cool. The sand inside stops it from kinking. It is time consuming but affective. I discovered it on a youtube video a while ago. The guys was making garden lights.

924aussie

Full time elf
I advertised for a used round trampoline and have been given two for free. They already are:

Round
come with legs that you can use to bury into the ground and
have predrilled holes with springs and D Shackles attached

:D