Metal enclosure

Habbosrus

Back again
I was given a second hand waterproof metal electrical enclosure that I plan to use to house some of my hardware. Early plans are to install 2 x power supplies and a E6804 controller. All of my power supplies and controllers were inside last year and I ran cabling outside to my lights (everything seemed to work well). My thoughts were to place this new enclosure and it's hardware right next to my new matrix.
What precautions do I need to take?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Make sure the enclosure is properly earthed and the you use grommets or cable glands so the cables don't get chaffed / cut into.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
It's not just the enclosure that needs earth but the door has to be earthed as well.

dale82

Senior elf
LOL Yag, I think he means "Why is there not a LIKE button on here" LOL great advice guys, I never thought of earthing the door and the wires getting cut by the metal.

Habbosrus

Back again
David_AVD said:
Make sure the enclosure is properly earthed and the you use grommets or cable glands so the cables don't get chaffed / cut into.
Does that mean connecting mains earth to the box? If so, any recommendations on wire size?
If not, what is the correct way to earth the box?
The grounding of the box was my main concern when raising this post. I have cable glands ready to install. I also have some small fans and a couple of right angle vents to install for ventilation.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Habbosrus said:
David_AVD said:
Does that mean connecting mains earth to the box? If so, any recommendations on wire size?

Yes, the mains earth wire should go the the box (and lid if it's a hinged type). The wire size must at least as thick as the active or neutral wires.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I am using a power meter box under my mega tree, the power cable going in is a 3 core and the earth will be bolted to the box, the box will also be mounted to the metal tree pole which is in the ground.
I have blocked a wooden backboard off the rear of the box, so none of the low voltage connections accidentally short to the box.
I didn't think about the door, however it is a metal hinge and a tight push to close. So thought that would be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_4978.JPG
    IMG_4978.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 45

Habbosrus

Back again
David_AVD said:
Habbosrus said:
David_AVD said:

Yes, the mains earth wire should go the the box (and lid if it's a hinged type). The wire size must at least as thick as the active or neutral wires.

Thanks David

Habbosrus

Back again
scamper said:
I am using a power meter box under my mega tree, the power cable going in is a 3 core and the earth will be bolted to the box, the box will also be mounted to the metal tree pole which is in the ground.
I have blocked a wooden backboard off the rear of the box, so none of the low voltage connections accidentally short to the box.
I didn't think about the door, however it is a metal hinge and a tight push to close. So thought that would be fine.

That's a neat setup. Care to provide a little more info about how things are connected?