Mounting EMT/PVC Clips to House Without Drilling

swampgator352

New elf
I am planning for my first show this Christmas and am planning to start out with simple outline around our roof line. My plan currently is to attach my pixels to mounting strip and zip tie to EMT conduit. I would like to make set up/tear down as easy as possible, particularly because one of the house peaks is quite difficult to reach. I was thinking that clips like these might be helpful. I am a bit hesitant thought to drill into my soffit for some reason.

I'm trying to imagine if there are any alternatives as far as mounting these clips to the house. One idea that I'm mulling over is to mount adhesive backed zip tie mounts to the house then zip tie the clips them. Does that seem plausible? Is there a different solution? Or do I just need to get over it and screw the clips into soffit? The soffit looks like it might be a hardie board type material in case that is helpful.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I too cannot drill holes into the house for lights. I use PVC conduit and have taken a clamp and attached the clip to it.
I tighten the clamp then clip in the conduit.

I haven't had any problems with the clamps failing and it falling down.
clamps_roofline.jpg

I suggest the thing stainless steel wire between runs (like I have used). This is if you don't have a connector between. The stainless steel wire takes the weight instead of the pixels wire.

Electrical tape is around the conduit because the hardware store had a size too big clips in stock.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I've drilled plenty of holes in my fascia and soffit... I use the ziptie adhesive mounts you referenced for my window outlines and vinyl trim though. Make sure you remove all of the adhesive if you plan on using them. They will fall off if you don't. I used a bit of clear silicone once I removed the adhesive to mount to the vinyl window trim. Been up for years with no issues short of a bit of weathering.

Nojoy

Full time elf
Mine is akin to @mark_but I don't use the clamps. Instead I have the pvc clips attached to 25mm pot magnets, and have them hang from the under side of gutters or along the metal trim of the roof outline (colourbond roof). Didn't have single one move all last season.
To hang from the soffit you could experiment with placing metal or another magnet in the roof space for the outer magnet to attract to through the plaster/wood

swampgator352

New elf
Mark, the clamps are an interesting idea!

uncledan, so you don't use the adhesive at all? You use silicone instead?

I guess I am kind of straddling the line between having permanent clips and having clips that could be removed if necessary. I don't know why, but permanently mounting something to my home feels a bit intimidating.

swampgator352

New elf
Magnets are an interesting idea, Nojoy. I'm not sure if I could manage to get metal to the opposite side of the soffit though...I will keep thinking on that.

I'm imagining a solution similar to these broom clips -- though I don't think these would work on 1/2 inch conduit.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
On the idea of gutters;
Is there something you can make/buy just to clip onto them?

Gutter clips for Christmas lights exist. I've used many plastic ones, but they are far too weak for holding up conduit.

swampgator352

New elf
I feel confident that the gutters won't be too much trouble; perhaps a good application for the magnets. My main concern is mounting to the soffit on a second story peak in the center of the front facade of the house. I'm planning to maybe rent a boom of some kind to mount something semi-permanent that I can snap conduit in and out of each year.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I tried using the ziptie mounts with the adhesive. Stuff started falling down off the house... I deal with these at work and the same thing happens in electrical enclosures. The adhesive is useless as far as I'm concerned. I removed ALL adhesive with a razor blade and used some clear silicone with no issues for years. You might want to look into PVC as opposed to EMT as well. EMT is heavier and a bit overkill. PVC should work fine