My First Project

MarcD

Full time elf
Are you saying that if I want to run more than 30 or so sets of these lights on one controller, I can buy two of the power supplies and connect them both to the one DC48 controller?

David_AVD said:
You're not limited to one controller on each power supply. The main determining factor is the current drawn by the lights. The 200 count Big W strings draw approx 200mA each. You can use 30 or so sets on just one 240W 30V power supply.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes this is correct as the AVD48 has provisions for 2 supplies, 1 for each block of 24 channels, so this allows you to distribute your load easier as well as allows different voltages between both sides of the controller

MarcD

Full time elf
Have you got a link to where to buy the pixels or even just more info on them?

Beacy said:
Ive got a Colourbond roof and good old gaffer tape works wonders on the ridges and is strong enough that it will peel off at the end

I have a heap of Big W lights that I use on David's AVD 48's however with the cost of pixels coming down I can get far more bang for my buck with pixels even if you dont use the digital ones and go "Dumb" pixels youve 1 strings that can change to any colur you want and they can still run out of the AVD48's

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ok this is where you will have to have a bit of a learning curve, if your interested in pixels then this thread may help, also refer to the ACL 101 manual on intelligent and dumb RGB lighting as it will explain the difference for you and how they connect up
But RGB pixel lighting is where most here seem to head after they weigh up their options due to the additional things you can do with RGB pixels.

In my display you can see how both dumb and intelligent RGB pixels are used and how i use floods lights back onto the house to add colour to otherwise boring cement rendered walls and the garage doors. But remember this is a work in progress and most here going this way but planning their change over over a few years. So use what you already have and then start to move towards RGB lighting with any new lighting you may get from now on.

Fasteddys 2011 Colour Christmas Light Show on Vimeo

MarcD

Full time elf
That's a lot more efficient than trying to plug in 30 different plug packs and having no control over them.

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Yes this is correct as the AVD48 has provisions for 2 supplies, 1 for each block of 24 channels, so this allows you to distribute your load easier as well as allows different voltages between both sides of the controller

MarcD

Full time elf
Forget the pixel lighting and RGB's etc. We'll stick with what we know this year i.e. the Big W lights. Does anyone know when Big W will start stocking them this year? They certainly weren't there on the weekend, but I don't think they're too far off.

We'll be discussing everything tonight and will come up with a plan and start placing orders.

Thanks for all the help and expect more requests soon.

Marc

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
From my past stalking of their light display about October is when they start coming in and in the past QLD seems to get them 1st

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Don't be scared off the "dumb pixels" they are will set up from your AVD48 and you get all your colours in 1 string. They are really easy and if you have any problems we will get you through it

MarcD

Full time elf
I was at my local Big W on Saturday and the section where they normally have Christmas stuff had a range of clearance toys. I'm guessing that will sit there until the Christmas stuff arrives or until they decide they can set it up without copping too much flak from customers about it being too soon.

Beacy said:
From my past stalking of their light display about October is when they start coming in and in the past QLD seems to get them 1st

MarcD

Full time elf
It's not really a matter of being scared (wouldn't be my problem anyway). I'm just concerned about the mounting cost. I think I'm already up to about $500 for everything I want/need and that's without buying more light strings. On top of that, part of the compromise with my wife includes buying her a large Santa Stop Here sign, a digital countdown clock (which I can't find a link too atm) and a four metre long Santa and sleigh for the roof.

Beacy said:
Don't be scared off the "dumb pixels" they are will set up from your AVD48 and you get all your colours in 1 string. They are really easy and if you have any problems we will get you through it

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
MarcD said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by alternating and flashing?

The Big W strings have two circuits (or channels). What I mean by that is every 2nd LED is on a different circuit. Channel 1 is LEDs 1, 3, 5, etc and channel 2 is LEDs 2, 4, 6, etc.

Some people just common them up and drive the string as one channel. This saves controller channels, but means you can't flash the alternate LEDs any more - it's either the whole string on or off.

I prefer to keep them as 2 channel strings so you can have some movement within the string.

EDIT: The "dumb" pixels people talk about are RGB so you can control the colour of the overall string. They are not as cheap as Big W ones though. It really depends of how nuts you want to go. If you're not wanting to get too overwhelmed this year, I'd stick with Big W style strings and DC controllers.

MarcD

Full time elf
That makes perfect sense. If we're going with the 48 channel controller, that's probably what we'll do for most of the lights. Others can stay on a single channel. Hopefully we can come down to chat about it and buy the stuff. If not, we'll just place an order online once we figure out exactly what we need.

David_AVD said:
The Big W strings have two circuits (or channels). What I mean by that is every 2nd LED is on a different circuit. Channel 1 is LEDs 1, 3, 5, etc and channel 2 is LEDs 2, 4, 6, etc.

Some people just common them up and drive the string as one channel. This saves controller channels, but means you can't flash the alternate LEDs any more - it's either the whole string on or off.

I prefer to keep them as 2 channel strings so you can have some movement within the string.

EDIT: The "dumb" pixels people talk about are RGB so you can control the colour of the overall string. They are not as cheap as Big W ones though. It really depends of how nuts you want to go. If you're not wanting to get too overwhelmed this year, I'd stick with Big W style strings and DC controllers.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I wired all my lights as two channels, but you can always common the channels up at the controller. This way you don't have to re-do the extension cabling to the strings if you change your mind after you put them up! :)

kane

Dedicated elf
MarcD said:
It's not really a matter of being scared (wouldn't be my problem anyway). I'm just concerned about the mounting cost. I think I'm already up to about $500 for everything I want/need and that's without buying more light strings. On top of that, part of the compromise with my wife includes buying her a large Santa Stop Here sign, a digital countdown clock (which I can't find a link too atm) and a four metre long Santa and sleigh for the roof.

haha - there's a lot of us here that wished we only spent $500 on our displays..

I was horified when I started to add up my costs from last year (my first year).. Oh well, the smiles on everyone's faces is definately worth it!

MarcD

Full time elf
I've already spent thousands on lights. Now I just need to take control of them. Besides, this year I'm determined to beat the lesbians who won the local comp last year. They didn't play by the rules.

Kane said:
MarcD said:

haha - there's a lot of us here that wished we only spent $500 on our displays..

I was horified when I started to add up my costs from last year (my first year).. Oh well, the smiles on everyone's faces is definately worth it!