My singing faces

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I had a few people ask if I could make a how-to for my neon singing faces that I made last year.

I used neon-flex for my faces, 12v. I got the neon from a place in China called ledvision, however I see Ray stocks it now, he didnt back when I made them.

Neon flex is probably a bit heavier than ropelight so shipping isnt too pretty.

I ordered 10m per face. I used my LOR 16-ch DC board for the faces. Each face uses 7 chans.

picof2faces.jpg

The things I used to make the faces are:

1. Marine plywood
2. 20m of 12v white Neon-flex, like this except cool white, not warm white (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LED-Neon-Flex-Light-2-wired-with-single-color-warm-white-LED-Neon-Flexible-Size-13/701799_299282771.html). There are a couple of diff sizes of neonflex, very glad I didnt get the smaller size. Also mine is 80 led's per metre, I think the above is 120 led's per metre. I certainly wouldnt want anymore than 80, far too bright.
3. PVC plastic channelling, cost me only $2.50 per metre.
4. 4-core Security cable

Here they are attached to the house, we attached them with U-hook stainless steel bends at the 4-corners, I can take a pic of those if requested.
IMG_1272_zpsf13446a9.jpg

Firstly I painted the marine plywood with black matt chalkboard paint then put a matt sealant/coat over it. Make sure its matt so theres no reflection.

I then drew out my faces, I made my patterns up, especially the "girl" one. Then I cut my channelling. For the straight lines of the faces I made long lengths, for the bends and circles I just cut small pieces of channelling. I then screwed them into the board.

IMG_1452_zps23d2d658.jpg

I then cut my neonflex to size but also had to be aware of cutting at the marked arrow (every 5cm). I then had to put the flex ends on and silicon/heatshrink them to seal them.

1stfacebeingmade.jpg

Where the power cords are I drilled a hole in the marine and threaded the cabling through to the back.

IMG_1546_zps95a14e98.jpg

Once I put them on the house and tested them I found that there was too much glare going from the sides of the flex to the other parts of the face, e.g one part of the mouth when on shone on another part of the mouth. So last year I just quickly stuck black electrical tape on all sides of the flex.

This year I have just finished painting the sides instead as the electrical tape came off by end of season, it was a quick fix tho.

I also ran the faces in LOR at 50% intensity, having them at 100% was ridiculously bright lol.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Those look great. The neon flex looks interesting. Thanks for sharing the method.

Madko

Full time elf
Hello ShellNZ,

I was wondering if you had issues with stability or flicker from your singing face lights?
As your link to neon flex on aliexpress isn't working anyone I contacted Ray. He said that the 12v 80LED/m are unstable and flicker a bit and wanted to offer 160LEDS/m and 24v. To which I'm not keen on.
Just wanted to know your thoughts on your 12v lighting for singing faces and also do you have that link again

Cheers

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Hi Madko,
I have bought similar neonflex from a different supplier. I use coloured neon flex for my singing face. It is 12v and works really well and very bright. ( see avatar )The only issue I have is when you bend the neon flex the wire running threw the core can become shortened. This will make the light flicker. To fix simply bend in the opposite direction or re cut the neonflex to expose more wire.

http://visionled.en.alibaba.com/product/338374596-201624080/Red_Color_LED_Outdoor_Light.html?edm_src=sys&edm_type=fdbk&edm_grp=0&edm_cta=read_msg&edm_time=realtime&edm_ver=e

Madko

Full time elf
Thanks guys for both your input and info. Will check it out.
Im planing to attempt 3 singing faces for Christmas 2015!
Cheers

Madko

Full time elf
Sorry Guys, forgot to ask but what DC boards are you running your singing faces from?
Also does the neonflex come with any joiners for when you cut or is just like RGB flat LED strip where you just use your pigtails and solder/heatshrink etc?
Cheers

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Madko said:
Sorry Guys, forgot to ask but what DC boards are you running your singing faces from?
Also does the neonflex come with any joiners for when you cut or is just like RGB flat LED strip where you just use your pigtails and solder/heatshrink etc?
Cheers

Be sure to order pig tails, Joiners and heat sink. I use a lor dc board to power mine. The below link is 240v but the dc version is much better as you can cut it every 5cm. From memory the AC stuff could only be cut every meter. In the video you will see that the pin connectors are to one side, if you bend in the opposite direction the wire inside the flex becomes a little shorter and may not make a good connection. This is what I was talking about earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvSWJX80PlU