New Power supply questions

vanoontour

New elf
Hi All,

I'm experiencing the usual frustration with the 8 function not keeping memory when all I want is the steady on function. I've had a look through the forums and can't see a power supply the same as the one I have. Basically, is there a way to control my LED string via my smart GPO? So if I say "Hey Google, turn on the patio lights" the LED string will turn on to the steady on function? Photos attached below.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 240VAC Side.jpg
    240VAC Side.jpg
    873.4 KB · Views: 16
  • LV Side.jpg
    LV Side.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 19
  • PWR Supply.jpg
    PWR Supply.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Back of board.jpg
    Back of board.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 17

Jonesy928

New elf
I had this problem with the standard fairy light power supplies last year. Unfortunately some of them just do not have memory in them, there isn’t much you can do about that. I found a lot of the fairy lights that can be chained together have memory in their power supplies.

fugley

Apprentice elf
Easiest way is to control the power to that plug as it appears to be a dumb control

“BrilliantSmart 20676 USB Charger Plug” cheap way to get smarthome control / voice control and can easily be hacked with tasmota to have local control / remove from the cloud

vanoontour

New elf
Easiest way is to control the power to that plug as it appears to be a dumb control

“BrilliantSmart 20676 USB Charger Plug” cheap way to get smarthome control / voice control and can easily be hacked with tasmota to have local control / remove from the cloud

I think you misread my post. I have the smart GPO already. My problem is when it turns on the LED string starts with the wrong function. I only want constant on or off.

Is there an alternate power supply that can be used? There are 24VAC supplies (https://www.jaycar.com.au/24vac-1a-unregulated-power-supply-bareends/p/MP3032) but none at 31VAC that i've seen.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The output of that PSU / controller will be polarity reversing so you can't easily bypass it to provide the steady mode.

Hanson Electronics sells a board that can control those lights, but then you need to control the board, so not really what you wanted.

A small board could be designed that just takes 31V DC in and provides the polarity reversing output to make all lights steady on.

If you feed 31V DC to the light set now, only 50% of the LEDs will illuminate. Which 50% depends on the polarity.

The only other thing you could try is feeding the light set from 24V - 27V AC. This will light all the LEDs, but the flicker may be noticeable.