Newbie Controller Question

BrianZ

Full time elf
I've also been reading up on the F-amps and their function. I Wonder if it is possible to connect one F16v3 and just running extensions cables to pixels strings using Famps in between to send the data? Then separate PSU units with fuse blocks near the strings that need injecting? Or PSU unit near the controller and send the injection cables with the extensions? Just an idea...It appears to me however that If i were to run an injection cable 30ft, the voltage will ultimately drop.

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
OK, this is great. So for example, if I had 3 ports in use for pixel strings and a 350w PSU has about 29amps, how would I use this meter to test how many amps are being used from the PSU?
When you purchase your lights from whoever. Your lights should say how many watts each node takes and amps per string. I cant remember where I saw it but I came across a chart that help you determine this calculation. If i can find it, allow post it

BrianZ

Full time elf
When you purchase your lights from whoever. Your lights should say how many watts each node takes and amps per string. I cant remember where I saw it but I came across a chart that help you determine this calculation. If i can find it, allow post it
Thank you. I will say this...this thread, because you guys/gals have thought me almost everything about pixel lighting. It's a little complicated and intimidating, but exciting as well. I haven't even gotten into xlights and music syncing yet, lol. oh boy...

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
Oh I see, I misunderstood you. Not all controllers have to be in the garage. But to keep things as neat and professional as possible, I thought I could start with the F4v3 in the center garage and that expansion...and the receivers would be good on the other side. The CAT5e, or 6 cable will have to travel about 25ft to the receiver for the left side, is that fine?
Yes. 25ft with cat 5 is fine. Dont use all strands though. Another thing with determining your power supply is will you be running your lights 50% brightness, 30% brightness.

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
Thank you. I will say this...this thread, because you guys/gals have thought me almost everything about pixel lighting. It's a little complicated and intimidating, but exciting as well. I haven't even gotten into xlights and music syncing yet, lol. oh boy...
I'm pretty new to all of this so I dont chime in to much. Do not want to give out bad info. Here where its -10, I bought my controller, a 3ft led strip, a 50ft node string and a 60 amp psu so I can mess around inside

TerryK

Retired Elf
OK, this is great. So for example, if I had 3 ports in use for pixel strings and a 350w PSU has about 29amps, how would I use this meter to test how many amps are being used from the PSU?
This problem as others will most certainly have several solutions. I calculate all of mine which unlike an ampmeter can be done in the design stage of a display. Neither is wrong and neither is right, just 2 different methods. When planning, you should have an idea of the number of pixels and the type on a string and which strings are powered from which power supply. A string current can be calculated by [NumberOfPixels * .055 (typical current per pixel rule of thumb) * DriveLevel] so as an example 84 pixels at 40% is 84 * .055 * .4 = 1.8 Amp (and a few fractions).

TerryK

Retired Elf
I've also been reading up on the F-amps and their function. I Wonder if it is possible to connect one F16v3 and just running extensions cables to pixels strings using Famps in between to send the data? Then separate PSU units with fuse blocks near the strings that need injecting? Or PSU unit near the controller and send the injection cables with the extensions? Just an idea...It appears to me however that If i were to run an injection cable 30ft, the voltage will ultimately drop.
This question pertains to power injection methods. I suggest you watch this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR3QbzjpZy8

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
If you go looking for heavy gauge wire, check out booster cables. You can often find them for less than the cost of the wire. Right now I can get 25' (7.62m) 1ga booster cable for $38.88 CDN (Princess Auto). On Amazon, the same length of cable costs $109.10 including shipping and import fees. This is far heavier than most folks will need, but it gives you the idea.

BrianZ

Full time elf
Yes. 25ft with cat 5 is fine. Dont use all strands though. Another thing with determining your power supply is will you be running your lights 50% brightness, 30% brightness.
Good question. Because my neighborhood is a little dark, I don't see me going over 50%, more like below, but i'd like the option to go higher if I need it.

BrianZ

Full time elf
This problem as others will most certainly have several solutions. I calculate all of mine which unlike an ampmeter can be done in the design stage of a display. Neither is wrong and neither is right, just 2 different methods. When planning, you should have an idea of the number of pixels and the type on a string and which strings are powered from which power supply. A string current can be calculated by [NumberOfPixels * .055 (typical current per pixel rule of thumb) * DriveLevel] so as an example 84 pixels at 40% is 84 * .055 * .4 = 1.8 Amp (and a few fractions).
Thank you for that. Wow, takes a lot of planning. I think I may just increase my PSU's to give me the option of going brighter. Sometimes there are good hits in songs that I like emphasize with brightening the lights to like 80% or so. I guess with those lights, which will probably be my icicles in the center, I may add another supply just for injections or increase the current one. What I'm noticing is, the only way I'm going to "really" know and learn is to take the plunge and start purchasing equipment. But you guys have given me a world of information!!

TerryK

Retired Elf
I would not suggest purchasing items until you have a fairly well planned display. I am inclined to think others would agree. I plan for a 80% drive level so I can emphasize parts of a display but it is not a simple purchase another power supply. The step is to recalculate the amperage requirements for the display and size your power supplies accordingly.

BrianZ

Full time elf
I would not suggest purchasing items until you have a fairly well planned display. I am inclined to think others would agree. I plan for a 80% drive level so I can emphasize parts of a display but it is not a simple purchase another power supply. The step is to recalculate the amperage requirements for the display and size your power supplies accordingly.
Makes sense, thank you.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.