OctoWS2811 Library

PaulStoffregen

New elf
I recently published a new library called OctoWS2811, for driving large WS2811-based LED display at video refresh speeds. Yesterday it was mentioned on Hack-a-Day, Adafruit and some other blog sites.

Just wanted to share it here. Hope you like it? :)

http://youtu.be/M5XQLvFPcBM

PaulStoffregen

New elf
OctoWS2811 requires the DMA controller on Teensy 3.0. It will not work on any other Arduino compatible boards, not even the Teensy 2.0 ones.

dannyp

Full time elf
Pardon my ignorance, but is this a board that replaces something like the P12R? I can't seem to find too much info on thw website that I can understand exactly how this would hook up to something like LSP?

Cheers

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Not exactly Danny.

I would say it's like a P12R but without the Ethernet interface - and the embedded software to decode E1.31 data. This board is more of a pixel driver to generate the required serial data. You'd need your own PC connected (via USB) running custom software to receive E1.31 from your sequencer of choice and then do your own processing/octoWS2811 API from there. This is what I'm considering doing for my matrix this year.

PaulStoffregen

New elf
I'm planning to work on OctoWS2811 version 1.1 sometime between now and Maker Faire on May 18-19.

So far, I've been planning 3 features, another Processing-based example using live video, gamma correction for video, and DMX receive.

Perhaps I should consider adding E1.31 receive using the Ethernet library?

I found the E1.31 draft revision 0.46 spec. It looks pretty straightforward. Does anyone know if the final E1.31 spec is substantially different? Or if anyone reading this has a copy of the final E1.31 spec and would be willing to help me out, please email me directly: paul at pjrc dot com. I promise I will not repost the spec. I'll only use it to add E1.31 support to OctoWS2811.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Yes yes yes - you will become a god if you can add E1.31 natively!!! 8)

E1.31 is very easy to program, Listen on UDP 5568, the E1.31 packet has a header with some sequence/packet-order numbering info that I ignore anyway; universe number, followed by at least 1 to a max of 512 bytes of DMX brightness levels, eg 0 = off, 255 = full on.

Here's some VB6 code I've ripped from my app - hopefully it's all there :D
Code:
WinsockDMX1.GetData RawData
dmxlength = Len(RawData) - 127

'E1.31 header debug...
'For a = 1 To 127
'Debug.Print a & " = " & Asc(Mid(RawData, a, 1)) & " = " & Mid(RawData, a, 1)
'Next
Universe = CLng(Asc(Mid(RawData, 115, 1)))
'Process each DMX Channel
For z = 0 To dmxlength
     If z <= 509 Then
     'Remember our previous channel values for calculating RGB later

'Get DMX channel's value
     channelValue = Asc(Mid(RawData, 127 + z, 1))

'Every third DMX Channel, calculate the RGB value based on the two previous DMX values
     If z > 0 And (z Mod 3 = 0) Then
         RGBcolourOriginal = RGB(LastChannelValue2, LastChannelValue, channelValue)
     end if   

'Remember our previous channel value for calculating RGB later
     LastChannelValue2 = LastChannelValue
     LastChannelValue = channelValue 
     end if  
next z
Processing wise, receiving Multicast E1.31 is the same normal unicast UDP, just with a different UDP stack binding to begin with.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
PaulStoffregen said:
Or if anyone reading this has a copy of the final E1.31 spec and would be willing to help me out, please email me directly: paul at pjrc dot com. I promise I will not repost the spec. I'll only use it to add E1.31 support to OctoWS2811.

Download the official copy for free here. DMX stuff is also now on the free list. Get them before they change their mind! :)

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Does this help ya http://www.deskontrol.net/blog/arduino-based-artnet-node-for-led-pixels/

PaulStoffregen said:
I'm planning to work on OctoWS2811 version 1.1 sometime between now and Maker Faire on May 18-19.

So far, I've been planning 3 features, another Processing-based example using live video, gamma correction for video, and DMX receive.

Perhaps I should consider adding E1.31 receive using the Ethernet library?

I found the E1.31 draft revision 0.46 spec. It looks pretty straightforward. Does anyone know if the final E1.31 spec is substantially different? Or if anyone reading this has a copy of the final E1.31 spec and would be willing to help me out, please email me directly: paul at pjrc dot com. I promise I will not repost the spec. I'll only use it to add E1.31 support to OctoWS2811.