Online Expo - Easter 2020 - self isolation style

Are you interested in a online Mini for Australia and New Zealand??? on Easter long weekend

• yEs 1 day

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • yEs 2 days

Votes: 54 70.1%
  • Sorry I'm going away for easter

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Benslights

Dedicated elf
OK With how everything is going at this stage around the world. We are thinking about running an online Expo.

we are looking to hold it over the Easter long weekend as everyone should be Home that weekend :D :D

I have started a poll to see who would be interested and if you would be interested in 1 or 2 days.

we ould look at doing 2 online rooms

1 for Beginners and 1 for Advance and you can switch between rooms as you like.

look forward to everyone's feedback and those who would like to offer to present please let me know.

As you can understand some topics we would normally do at a mini we will not do online as it just would not work.

look forward to your feedback

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Please see below the run sheet for the online mini

View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VFAaMqd7hy-PIQvUS6JkAUzuOdeDIKZkatfVeEUTTvk/edit?usp=sharing

the 2 days it will be held on will be Saturday the 11th of April and Monday the 13th of April

we now need people to put their hands up to do presentations so please PM me if you would like to help with a presentation

Link to zoom room for the online expo:
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.
if you get stuck just message me

Last edited:

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
I could still probably do a DMX Fixtures demo, if I can share my screen and webcam at the same time.
That's if any one was interested

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Ben, I'm guessing you already have a list written down somewhere but figure might put some here so that people can see what is probably going to be covered, that way might encourage some othe rtopics to be put forward that people are interested in.
So in no particular order:

Importing into Xlights (could be split into beginner and advanced talks)
1st year review: what I learnt, what i'd do differently from my first year with animated display
Editing audio for your sequences
DMX basics and fixtures (smoke machines, moving heads etc)
Networking 101
Xlights basics (could be fleshed out into different specifics)
Xlights advanced (such as buffers/render styles, layers, etc)
Tools, equipment and consumables required/recommended for the hobby
xSchedule and FPP - show control (could also cover the hardware required, PC/rPi)
Power injection principles and/or wire/cable talk
Controller overview

I'm sure there are plenty more, such as basic prop design and building, but may be a little harder to showcase online, but not imposisble.
I'm sure there are more topics, so keep them coming everyone :)

Benslights

Dedicated elf
So anyone wanting to put their hands up to do an online presentation????? it would be nice to see members from all over Australia and New Zealand put their hands up.

We do not want to see the same people always having to do these presentations as I do not think that is fair

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
whilst I may be considered the same people, I'm happy to recycle the audio editing preso and tools/equipment one if need be

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Due to uncertainty at work I'll have to say no to presenting as I dont know if I will be about - I finish Saturday morning, but may be required to work Saturday night at the moment

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I could do one; but.......
  1. My internet would crap out
  2. I really have no idea what to talk about.
Maybe have a pre-recorded video video play and then the presenter can answer questions live?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Suggestion: For those doing live xlights demonstrations.
You may want to consider making available a packaged sequence of your demo so people could follow along at home.
Lilia did that a few years ago for her tutorial. She made a shortened version of one of her sequences then showed us from scratch how she made the sequence.