International Online Mini Conference

gigogig

gigogig
To Christmas and Halloween communities,
Originally I started a project of doing an internet based mini. The idea was simple, do a mini that anyone could attend from anywhere using a conferencing website / system. The hope was to be able to have experts in any particular part of our hobbys be able to present to anyone not just those that were close to them. I hope that by doing this we can grow are communities and be able to better include people that aren’t close to large cities. But quickly the idea got out of what could be done in a day, then a weekend, and even a week. So a new plan was devised, Online Mini Conferences. The idea is to have two to fore one hour presentations, followed up by one to two hours of discussions (via webcams, voice and text). So that’s the idea, and now I have the Conference server up and running (still working on the playback server for recordings).
The date/time has been selected as -7:00 Fridays at 6:00pm to see that in your time zone go here http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Online+Mini+Conferences+every+week+at+this+time&iso=20120713T18&p1=1956&ah=3 we will try to always do these at the same time

gigogig

gigogig
About presentation software/server,

We have selected the main presentation software of BBB but we do have some other failbacks if that doesn’t continue to work. The software will allow us to have a text chat, with an audio chat, with a webcam chat, with a slide / whiteboard area, and desktop screen sharing (somewhat limited). During a presentation there will be audio / webcams from the presenters, but a text chat available to all. Also a presenter can give an audience member the ability to share a webcam / audio. Dering the webcam chat (also known as open chat (formally open round table)) time anyone (with a mic \ webcam (also may need headphones to stop audio feedback)) will be able to join in and have a conversation about whatever. We have had users use the server from around the world and all seems to work wonderfully. If this continues to work well we are already looking to add servers / bandwidth.
Also for now there are no usernames or passwords so you don’t need a new account with anyone!
To test out how this works you can join the demo meeting here http://demo.bigbluebutton.org/ its not the same server as the one used for the Online Mini Conference but its running the same software

gigogig

gigogig
Possible presentation list,

if you have ideas for more please let us know. We are looking for anyone that would be willing to present these or copresent these:
How to use bbb, quick introduction into the meeting software feature set. –done
Shared neutral cables / us110 how-to. – done
DMX Primer. –done
Video Taping Light Shows, tips and tricks. -done
Fm-transmitters, antennas, and RDS. - Tips and tricks dealing with flicker.
Surveillance, software hardware and setup. - Xlights, setup and tricks.
Light o roma (lor) software, possibly sequencing, setup and tricks.
Vixen2.x, possibly sequencing, setup and tricks.
Vixen3.x, possibly sequencing, setup and tricks.
Light Show Pro (LSP), possibly sequencing, setup and tricks.
Audacity. Working with audio. - Servos, working with and selecting.
Servo controllers, working with and selecting. - Welding Techniques.
RGB controlling, all about different rgb controllers.
RGB pixel types, all about different pixel physical formats.
RGB protocols, all about different pixel protocols (2801,3001,gece,etc)
RGB power, options for bower distribution between 5v 12v 24v rgb power.
Dumb rgb pixels. - Ground Fault Trips. - Website development, content.
Neighborhood relations/traffic. - handling media. - Animation in a Display.
ac controller choices. - dc controller choices. - Projectors in shows.
Fogging options. - Soldering how-to. - Board design (advanced).
coroplast building. - Lasers in displays. - Repairing Lights.
How to lay out a display. - Mini tree how-to.
Power calculation, ac 110,220, dc5v, dc12v
Lights comparing led types(outputs) - Pic programing. - Hacking gece.

gigogig

gigogig
To moderators

I don’t have any problems with anyone and I don’t want to start, I’m a member of multiple sites because I believe that all of them bring something to your users (aka me). I am trying to bring something to them as well, and I feel that as there is no one doing this specific type of minis/get-togethers/meetings/presentations now I hope not to be stepping on anyone. As I see the traditional minis/get-togethers/meetings/presentations are superior to internet based ones in almost every way. The two exceptions being users that can’t make it to them and presenters that can’t make it closer to the users. That said please let me know if I’m crossing the lines of your site and I won’t put anything about this back up.

gigogig

gigogig
To possible presenters

First thanks for considering doing a presentation, presenters do wonders to help move the community along with the lest number of the same mistakes being made as well as a deeper understanding of everything they teach. There are some suggested requirements to be a presenter. We hope you can make it through the list.
Have a newer webcam (less than 3 years old) that can do 720p streaming.
Have at least a 384kbps internet upload connection and we would prefer presenters with a 1mbps upload internet connection.
Have at least a 5mbps download internet connection.
Have a dedicated microphone (not integrated into a laptop or a webcam).
Have headphones around just in case to prevent audio loopback when you are presenting (we hope to prevent this in software if we can, but it won’t always work :( ).
We ask that you make as much of the information as you can into slides (they don’t need to be perfect just there hopefully with pictures) and give them to us before the presentation so that we can get them onto the server.
We prefer if we can get two presenters in a presentation so if one has problems the other can take over, also so that one can better watch chat for questions, or just interject other personal experiences.
We would like presenters to have, use and be acquainted with splitcam (its free but be careful to only install it and not its crapware) .
Last but not lest we ask that presenters stick around for the after presentation webcam chat. That’s it and that’s all, if you are still interested please tell us what mini you would like to do.

gigogig

gigogig
To venders

First we would love to give away prizes, so let us know if you’re interested in giving something away :). If you’re interested in doing presentations on your software or hardware we ask that you make it clear that you are the vender. We also require that you do not putdown any other products or venders.

gigogig

gigogig
Recaps of previous presentations

These are some (not all) recordings from previous presentations, if you can wait a bit (1 to 3 more weeks) better copies will be coming
FYI all links here need you to skip ahead at least 15 minutes to the start of the mini.
Mini Conference 1
making Shared neutral cables and USA ac 110 history. followed up by How to use bbb
20 users for the presentation 9 webcams + others dering the open chat
http://198.60.123.40/playback/slides/playback.html?meetingId=4b72bade9e5c780995b753f8bd1053060fa55d52-1339202503720
Mini Conference 2
DMX primer
DMX Signal Anatomy, DMX Bus Management, Universes and Addressing, DMX Controllers
DMX Fixtures, Examples of DMX props, Future of DMX
19 users while competing for time with a large mini and the academy
http://198.60.123.40/playback/slides/playback.html?meetingId=4b72bade9e5c780995b753f8bd1053060fa55d52-1339807652093
Mini Conference 3
intro to nutcracker
25 users . no playback at least for now (I will be working on the raw recording files) don’t have any recording to show, sorry to those that missed it.

Mini Conference 4
HLS introduction
30 attendees!
http://198.60.123.40/playback/slides/playback.html?meetingId=4b72bade9e5c780995b753f8bd1053060fa55d52-1341016958709
Mini Conference 5
Video Taping Light Shows
no playback at least for now (I will be working on the raw recording files) don’t have any recording to show, sorry to those that missed it.

gigogig

gigogig
Halloween community specifically

You will note that the list of possible presentations and the presentations that have been done thus far are mostly xmas based, this is I promise you not done on purpose. We would love to get a list of presentations to do that are more Halloween based so please suggest them. We also can’t do any Halloween presentations until we get presenters willing to do them so please volunteer it’s not hard and we don’t bite unless you like that kind of thing. Depending on the list of presenters we have three options on when to do these.
1 do one the second Friday of every month. This works well if there aren’t to many presentations or volunteers to do.
2 do one every Friday at the same time as the more xmas centric presentation. Advantage people will have options on what to see, disadvantage people can’t be involved with both.
3 pick a different schedule to run on. This is near impossible but good luck if that’s what people want.

gigogig

gigogig
Online Mini Conference #6

Online Mini Conference #6 (mini mini # 6) industry overview of nearly everything! by AussiePhil of auschristmaslighting
Be warned this one may run long.
Some things to try to discuss pixel types, diy v off the shelf, 5v v 12v, current draws, power injection (biggy). traditional lights with pixels, making the most of existing investments, and some general look and feel stuff that may lead to even better shows, over and above that AussiePhil will try to talk on using traditional lights with pixels, making the most of existing investments, and some general look and feel stuff that may lead to even better shows
view the schedule at http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=industry+overview&iso=20120713T18&p1=1956&ah=4

gigogig

gigogig

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Gig,

Thank you for providing these minis, great chance to bring otherwise disconnected people together.

Got a little daunting with 40+ people today, i rely so much on seeing the audience and seeing when they fall asleep it was hard to know if people where listening.

Thanks for the chance to pass on a little knowledge

Cheers
Phil

ocanada1

New elf
Gig and Phil

Thanks for doing this. This mini really made a confusing topic very clear. It was also great to put a face to folks that post a lot of great info on various forums. Hope to come back next time.

Anne

gigogig

gigogig
I’m looking for more presenters….

I’m looking for more presenters….

Well we need more presenters (it’s not hard) to do presentations. If you have done a mini presentation in the last 6 months we would probably love to have you do it as an online mini conference (OMC). Please let us know.
If you have seen someone do, a mini presentation in the last 6 months throw them under the bus, give up their name, poke theme into doing an online mini conference (OMC). Oh and if you can be nice about it. :eek:
Online Mini Conference # 7
If we don’t get a volunteer for this week ill ether try to do a quick presentation (hum now what can I do) on something or we will just do open discussion about whatever.
Date and time
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Online+Mini+Conference+&iso=20120720T18&p1=1956&ah=2
Online Mini Conference # 8
Light show pro by fasteddy
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Online+Mini+Conference+%23+8+Light+show+pro+by+fasteddy&iso=20120727T18&p1=1956&ah=3
update on recordings / playback
iv bean hard at work righting the scripts to stitch together all the parts of OMC recordings and im happy to say that I’m real close so all should be up soon, fingers crosed