P-DMX Controller For RGB Pixel Spinner

Timon

Apprentice elf
As always a little history opens ones eyes as to why something is done the way it's done :)

I understand why the only two chips are usable on the board because of the single switch used to select between them. That said would an optional firmware load be reasonable to be able to use some of the other chips? I just have a feeling that the new 2811 is, over time, going to be the replacement for the 2801. Since it's a three wire interface instead of 4 there will be a programming change needed. I not sure what processor is being use but if it's one of the standard PIC chips then the programmer is easily come by and in fact many already have them.

Another option, if there is room on the chip for the additional program space, would be to use the current select switch to be use as a programming switch. You would set the pixel type in the lower part of the switch, set the programming switch and then turn on the controller. The controller would then set the selected device and you then turn off the switch.

Anyway, just a idea I put on the table for consideration. Take if for what it's worth.

This and the Texas group seem to be by far the sharpest around. The level of knowledge is great.

John

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
There simply wasn't enough hours in the day in the lead up to Christmas to get this project done.

I did partly populate the PCB, but one of the parts I chose seems not to be available economically now.

I'll probably redesign that part of the board and get another prototype in the next month or so.

As for pixel type selection, I have thought about a similar idea to what John (Timon) suggests.

H

harrisonk

David, did this end up going any further? Even if you could get me 2 Prototypes as i have ordered the stuff to do it and my board i was planning on using never came to life.