P10 panel issues

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hoping the P10 gurus can assist with some issues. I have 4x P10 panels used as a scrolling sign (4 wide by 1 high)
Up until 2 days ago they were working as they should as they have been setup via BBB/FPP and I have been able to sequence them in xLights. Yet as of 2 days ago, all 4 panels show the same image/data, instead of all acting as one element.

Here is a video showing them working as they should and this evening with the repeated data and now flickering:
View: https://youtu.be/XGdAOMpxBkE

Here is a pic of current setup in FPP just turning on 1 channel: FPP setup 13-11.jpg
And the FPP panel configuration: FPP setup2 13-11.jpg
And the result: Panels 13-11.jpg

The difference to the good test and current is that I have physically mounted the panels using 3d printed brackets to the wooden frame, and am using Ray Wu connector tails for Power Injection (and have tested voltage at end of these to be just over 5v so no voltage drop)

Help me ACL - you're my only hope!
Cheers, Graham

Boof63

Senior elf
Have P10 but am not using FPP and BBB, What would happen if you used 4 outputs instead of the one.
Current problems would make think controller is not seeing it as one large panel but 4 (sorry to sound obvious)
Is there a setting that changes this on the FPP etc or have you changed the sequence settings somehow to get the replay version. Not a great help i know and you probably have run through these ideas, so apologies if not helping.I will defer to anyone with some FPP/BBB experience. Possibly post this on the FPP forum and see if any luck there.
or drop into the chat room and see if any help there as well.
Cheers Boof63

gerry

Senior elf
What is you xlights matrix model config - can u please post that ? Also is it possible that you have interchanged the strings/strands value on the xl model - (try changing that and see if it helps).

gerry

Senior elf
I assume that the Test screen is not ticked at the same time and that on the E131 screen , the E131 box on the top is not ticked ? Looking from the front of the panels - u have a single connection from the BBB coming in from the right hand side from j1 of the octo ?

is your start channel correct - ie 1 ? in my case it is the actual channel number eg 9000 something.

Finally - I did not understand the Power injection bit - each panel comes with connectors to connect power to them (in my case two panels feed off one set of connections)

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Ah, Gerry the panel master, hoping we can get it sorted!

The xLights model setup here:
P10 xlights model.jpg

I'm not testing via xLights & da_e131 at the same time (as I know that causes flicker issues for other users)
Yes, looking from the front of the panels the BBB running FP is connected via ribboon to first panel on the right and they are daisy chained from r-l.
The power leads that come with the panels are not long enough to connect to PSU so I have added RayWu tails to extend these to the PSU. 1 lead is powering 2 panels, so 2 leads of PI.[/attach]

gerry

Senior elf
the only thing that may or may have an effect is that on the P10 config, u have start channel as 1 and I think that I set mine to the actual start number ie 8705 as in your xl config.

Another person who had a similar issue had the number of strings and strands interchanged , but I think your looks okay.
I meant that in one screen on the FP you had test enabled..
You are testing via an fseq uploaded and the BBB is in remote mode or are you testing from xl output in bridge mode ? If testing via the fseq , then make sure that the E131 box on the E131 screen (where u have defined the list of universes) is not ticked.
(am not at home now)

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
gerry said:
the only thing that may or may have an effect is that on the P10 config, u have start channel as 1 and I think that I set mine to the actual start number ie 8705 as in your xl config.

I tried this and changed to 8705 but they did not light up from xLights. I ran in test mode in FPP and selecting all Red they came on all Blue, so obviously this is not the issue. Reverted back to start channel 1 and they are the correct colours.

You are testing via an fseq uploaded and the BBB is in remote mode or are you testing from xl output in bridge mode ? If testing via the fseq , then make sure that the E131 box on the E131 screen (where u have defined the list of universes) is not ticked.
(am not at home now)

I'm testing from live output from xLights, not from a sequence file at this stage.

gerry

Senior elf
So u are testing in bridge mode ?
In which case , somehow your xl model does not align with the BBB defn. You are sure that the connections (P1..P2 ) is in the right seq and not L-R ?

Suggest u copy the matrix model to say another ie 'P10 small' and define the size of one panel ie 16 * 32 . Then change the BBB to be 1W * 1H . See if that panel (1st ) lights up correctly. try with bars etc .(leave all wires connected as is) .

If that works , then change P10 small (or copy) to be 2W * 1 h and amend the BBB to match. MAke sure the FPPD reboots.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
CaptainMurdoch said:
It sounds like you plugged the cable into the wrong port on the Octoscroller and not port 1.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! :D :) ;)
I am such an idiot - I plugged into output 4 of the octoscroller as there is a 1 printed near it, but this was for something else on the board. Swapped to output 1 and what do you know, all working fine!

Thanks all for helping with troubleshooting. I'll just go and hide my embarrassment for a while... :-[

Benslights

Dedicated elf
lol it is something that everyone has done on this site. we all do those simple little silly mistakes. you will not be the last Graham. good to hear it is all working now and nothing burnt, fried, melted or smashed :D

andrewa

Full time elf
I did the same thing, plugged into outputs 3 & 4 instead of 1 & 2, and just got crazy wrong rotation sort of pattern, spent 4 hours, up a pole re making my circular matrix

gerry

Senior elf
Glad that you got it working . There is a close up picture on one of the Wikis showing which output is is which and what I have done is write the numbers on the Octo cover , on the flat cables and on the back of the backing board , just in case ..