P10 Panel matrix

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
gerry said:
I understand that you made/make plastic brackets to hold the panels together ? Daryl showed his 9from you) at the mini....

Yes I do, send me your desired panel layout in a PM and i'll let you know which bracket set is needed and the cost.

Cheers

damona

Full time elf
The web site talks about the more panels you have the less color you have but its not very clear.
How many panels to how many colors?
Cheers

gerry

Senior elf
AussiePhil said:
Voltorb (John) said:
Scroll almost to the bottom of the Wiki on the left under hardware.

http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/index.php/Falcon_FPP_BBB

the actual panel config in fpp is actually buried in a couple of threads and whilst straight forward is not the best documented att his time...

Thanks - a couple of folks posted some explanations on the xlights forum . I had looked through every thread but had not gone deep enough into the one that mattered.
Just waiting on the header pins for the octoscroller to arrive now (and then Alan will help me with soldering them)

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Ray has outdoor versions too - however they are a lot more expensive - especially IMO considering we are only going to be operating them for a few weeks/nights each year.

Either way the main deciding factor for compatibility will probably just be the scan rate.

Boof63

Senior elf
Any one considering a Bulk Buy, as im looking for around 9 -18 depending on how long I wish to make the matrix.
9= 1m x 1m ,18 = 1m x 2m ,so if any one else is interested please PM me.
Cheers Boof63 :D

gerry

Senior elf
AussiePhil said:
hi Gerry,
I note that those DC-DC convertors have some shockingly poor voltage regulation as the current goes up, I have 10A and 20A versions and whilst I use them all the time I try and limit them to around 50% current.

How should I be fusing these connections ? And are these calculations correct : ?

Based on the wiki link in the post above 4 panels will draw about 4 amps @ 5V.
So each set of 4 panels , I will use one buck converter (rated at 10 amps) to convert from 12V (so 1.6 amps draw) to 5V (4 amps draw).

Should I have one 5A fuse after the buck converter before it splits to feed the 4 panels
or a 3A fuse on the primary end ?
Or are two required ie one on the primary end and one on the secondary end ?
or does each panel need its own fuse after the buck converter (say 2/3 amps ?)

Boof63

Senior elf
Question regarding matrix size, when designing matrix using P10's should I consider ratio for design,
ie 16:9 (1.77:1) as per tv or 4:3 (1.33:1) etc ( this is L X H)

if 2 metre long matrix = 6 panels long (320mm x 160mm)= 1.92m metres
thus I need for 16:9 aspect ratio 1.92/1.77 = 1.0847 metres high (or 6.77 panels high)
which means 42 panels to oversize it or 36 to under size it
thus undersize is 6 x 6 = even panels
Any suggestions on whether aspect rations need to be considered and if so
what is the ideal please.
CHeers Boof63 ??? ???

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Any chance of a better quality pic or a pdf of that graph Brad. It's a bit hard to read the values on the axises.

BradsXmasLights said:
Here's a fancy graph of Price vs Number of panels to help calculate cost effectiveness...

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Just tested a 10M ribbon cable between BBB & the first of 4 x P10 panels. It worked but had a lot of noise/random pixels flickering.

Cut it in half to 5M, and added flat-ribbon ferrite cores at each end and it works perfect. (Not sure if the ferrites helped here or not.)