P12S - 3 power supplies setup

mborg10

Michael Borg
I am using a P12s for my mega tree this year. 48 strings each 42 pixels long = 2016 pixels across 12 universes

each pixel is 0.3W so total would be 605W. To be safe I was going to run this using 3 x 350w power supplies, but is that overkill. Will 2 do it.

If I run 3 power supplies, my plan was to supply power to the P12S but not use the outputs. I would only use the data output and the +V and ground would come directly from the power supply. That way I can treat the lights as 3 separate circuits and each power supply would run 16 strings on 4 universes

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Your around the 600 watt mark, and each side of the board can take 30 amps (from memory), so that will put you at around 86% load if using 2 x 350 watt power supplies, if they are Ray Wu power supplies then if you dont plan on using a lot of the colour white then you will be OK to use 2 power supplies and if you do use white then just use it at about 90% intensity. If your using Meanwell power supplies then you can get away with just the 2 power supplies. You will still need to use power injection as you will be using 3 strings per output

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yeah I'm using the ray power supplies. I guess now it's an LSP question about making white 90% can you do this globally or has to be done each effect.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
Yeah I'm using the ray power supplies. I guess now it's an LSP question about making white 90% can you do this globally or has to be done each effect.
When ever you do the colour white then just highlight over that and right mouse click and then goto prperies where you can change the intensity.

If your just using flashes of white then i woulnt worry, its only when you plan to use white for a good period of time

mborg10

Michael Borg
12vdc ws2811 pixels. I can inject at the end of 4 as well which was my original plan but if I don't need to I won't.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
12vdc ws2811 pixels. I can inject at the end of 4 as well which was my original plan but if I don't need to I won't.

With 12vdc i would first try just injecting between string 2 and 3 only as you have only 48 lights per string and normally with 12vdc you can get up to 128 lights on a string. Just make sure the cable can handle the current of 2 strings

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
Word of caution. I have a setup with 12 strings of 135 nodes (12V) on a P12S running of two Meanwell power supplies.
Initially I used two 30 amp power supplies from Ray and they would cut out on all white so I changed to the two 30 amp Meanwells and I have no power issues now.
I do however melt the 30 amp fuse on the board, I mean literally melt the fuse. The fuse does not fail but on anything more than 10 seconds of white the plastic casing melts away leaving the fuse wire exposed.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I guess it goes back to original question. Can I just run power straight from power supplies and data thru p12s without using the power outputs on the board

kane

Dedicated elf
I guess it goes back to original question. Can I just run power straight from power supplies and data thru p12s without using the power outputs on the board
Yes, as long as you ensure the grounds of the power supplies are connected.. You can run +ve directly to the strings.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf

Just remember that not using the power distribution on the P12 means you are not using it's fuses either.