P2 and signal issues

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
yzguy96 said:
I have 2 of ray wu RGB amplifiers...could I use those instead of the null pixels?

Nope, null pixels, quality wire and power injection is the only thing you can do.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok so those are useless? also can i inject power from both ends of the string? im trying to inject power into a T so i can power the middle of my roofline but seems like when I do that the lights flicker. I checked the cable with the volt meter and it seems correct.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
RGB amplifiers are used to control higher current dumb RGB display elements from a lower powered controller. The "amplifier" part of the description is somewhat misleading - they don't amplify the current available from the original power source. Think of them more as a solid state relay - the output follows the input.

As to your pixel issue, a simple voltage measurement may not tell the whole story. Insufficient cabling size can cause small voltage spikes to appear on the power wires when the pixels are running. You're meter responds too slowly to show this, but that interference can really play havoc with the (clock and) data lines.

BrianJ

Full time elf
no, RGB amps are for dumb lights, they do not amplify data!!!
Null pixels are the correct way of extending distances.

(sorry, replied from bottom of page 1 and did not realize question was answered)

yzguy96

Full time elf
I got all my lights to turn on except when I have white on full intensity they flicker. I'm using 14 gauge speaker wire to carry data and current between pixels. I use smaller gauge when I cut the strips to make the corners of my windows. I do not notice flickers when on fullgreen or red?

yzguy96

Full time elf
I have about 120 pixels per window then use #14 to run power and data to next window. Cable is about 2.5 feet. My first floor roofline is 1 full strip plus Another 80 pixels.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Are you feeding the start of each window from the cable that comes from the power supply?

Maybe a diagram of the strip layout and where the power joins in would be good.

yzguy96

Full time elf
when i run the e1.31 software all the colors work...when i run the lightorama sequence the second floor seems to stop working and all i see is noise or something through the line...is this another null pixel issue? the data line is about a 10 foot run.

yzguy96

Full time elf
i stuck a null pixel and still didnt work...if the strip before it loses enough voltage then would that affect the data if i am just passing the data bewteen the prev strip?

yzguy96

Full time elf
never mind i figured some of it out...i only setup the first 2 universes in LOR network settings so it wasnt controlling universe 3 and 4.