Answered Package to get started

Ben F

Lights On Eaglemont

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Stay away from that 1. The Dream Colour is usually 6803 which is old 6 bit technology. That 1 says on it that it's 6803. You're better off with WS2811 or WS812 strips and nodes.

i13

Dedicated elf
I'm yet to see a good complete starting package anywhere because everyone has preferences and different requirements. I'd suggest describing how you want your display to look, asking for suggestions and posting a list of everything you plan to order so that you can get feedback before committing to it all.

ElSalZi

Full time elf
I'm yet to see a good complete starting package anywhere because everyone has preferences and different requirements. I'd suggest describing how you want your display to look, asking for suggestions and posting a list of everything you plan to order so that you can get feedback before committing to it all.
Mate,
I'm hearing you!! We are currently in the same position.

I have been referred to the "101 Guide" which is hugely comprehensive! It is written in such a way so as to NOT influence you one way or the other. I get that now. So, while it doesn't make a lot of sense now, read the damn manual. Read it again (I'm on #2 now) and the pages that are currently making the most sense to me are 59 onwards. They are the pages that discuss set-ups of systems, pros & cons.

There is a post (https://auschristmaslighting.com/th...pull-the-trigger-would-like-suggestions.9233/) that has helped me to start off.
1) measure up your display area;
2) make a plan (design your display or potential display ideas);
3) work out how much/many lights you want/need which gives you how much power you need;
4) choose a control system (page 59 onwards on the 101 Manual);

Now your most of the way to making your display...

Anyway, thats where we are at right now and a summary as I understand the process - the rest is specifics that you will be able to ask specific help with once you got your gear assembled (or while you're building it).

Hope that helps
Cheers
EZ

Last edited:

Ben F

Lights On Eaglemont
Stay away from that 1. The Dream Colour is usually 6803 which is old 6 bit technology. That 1 says on it that it's 6803. You're better off with WS2811 or WS812 strips and nodes.
Glad I asked the question... thanks

Ben F

Lights On Eaglemont
Thanks EZ, I have been reading the 101 Manual but I must admit it is a bit confusing when I try and look at what I need. I want to build a system that I can expand on each year and I am known to go a bit nuts on these sort of things. My display this year using mainly solar string lights totalled 30,000 lights and it didn't look nearly enough!
As I don't have any experience with strip lights or programming yet, I want to be able to start creating a few things and practice programming sequences and then build on it from there. If possible, I prefer to spend a bit more and buy equipment which will be capable of expanding on from day 1.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
As it's been said a few times in other posts. Have an idea of what you want out the front, take a photo of your house and then come to one of the Christmas minis, they will be in Apr/May for QLD and NSW. Others states I'm sure will pick a date soon, check out the wiki and mini posts.

The guys at the mini can have a look at a photo of your house and can provide great advice for your first package depending on your capability. You will learn more from the mini in the two days then months on this forum.

Whatever you do don't just jump in and buy a heap of lights and controllers, however we do need details.

ElSalZi

Full time elf
:p:D:laugh: I hear you, loud and clear!!!!

trust me when I tell you - I KNOW how you feel!

we are still going thru the display videos (top of forum under media) and have looked at 'Behind scenes' videos and have chosen what we like and then made contact with them... they will give you an idea of what they have and you can compare that to the 101 Manual... then choose.

reading the manual has led us to choose the RaspberryPi route, because we have one already! not trying to influence you down this path...

NB: solar lights will never be enough! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

AAH

What IS the difference between these 2, anyway?

6803 Dream Colour is what used to be used for the Light-O-Rama cosmic colour ribbons or whatever they called them. They are a 6 bit 64 level pixel IC. 2811/2812/INK1003 and many other variants are 8 bit 256 level pixel. This means that you get 4 times smoother fades though at night as part of a Christmas display the difference may not even be noticed visually. The 6803 is a 4 wire IC (2x power, 1x clock, 1x data) whereas the 2811 etc are 3 wire (2x power and 1x data with embedded clock signal). A number of pixel controllers don't support the 4 wire pixels any longer or if they do it is at the cost of a potential second output.

ElSalZi

Full time elf
6803 Dream Colour is what used to be used for the Light-O-Rama cosmic colour ribbons or whatever they called them. They are a 6 bit 64 level pixel IC. 2811/2812/INK1003 and many other variants are 8 bit 256 level pixel. This means that you get 4 times smoother fades though at night as part of a Christmas display the difference may not even be noticed visually. The 6803 is a 4 wire IC (2x power, 1x clock, 1x data) whereas the 2811 etc are 3 wire (2x power and 1x data with embedded clock signal). A number of pixel controllers don't support the 4 wire pixels any longer or if they do it is at the cost of a potential second output.

Is there any significant difference between the 2811 and the 2812?

...seems that I see more 2812 bullet & strip nodes compared to the 2811s

AAH

2811 is a pixel ic that controls 1 - 3 external leds (5V or 12C). 2812 is embedded into a 5050 (5mm x 5mm) led and as far as I know is thus limited to 5V. 2812B is a betterer, tougherer version of 2812.

ElSalZi

Full time elf
2811 is a pixel ic that controls 1 - 3 external leds (5V or 12C). 2812 is embedded into a 5050 (5mm x 5mm) led and as far as I know is thus limited to 5V. 2812B is a betterer, tougherer version of 2812.
Thank you Alan,
I've read that the controllers need to be specific for the LED strips/nodes so does that mean the 2812 are controllable from a 2811 controller? Are they interchangeable?

This thread is marked as solved. An answer might not be needed anymore.