Pixel Circle PCB (6 RGB LEDs)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I've had some WS2803 chips (like WS2801 but 18 channels) sitting around for ages now so thought I'd come up with a use for them. There are 6 RGB 5050 style LEDs arranged in a 50mm circle with the pixel chip in the centre. Input and output connections for (5V) power, clock and data are down the bottom.

The overall size of the PCB is currently 70mm, but I may increase that a little to fill the 90mm (I/D) storm water caps I intend on using to house these boards. The idea is to build the board, attach wiring, test it then spray with a conformal coating.

The coated board will be exposed to direct rain, but (hopefully) not be affected by it. A dob of silicone will hold it into the PVC cap. The general idea is to keep the cost down. I'll get a few made on the next prototype board run and see how the effect turns out.

davidavd circular board design for 6 rgb leds apc770 22-04-2012.png davidavd 90mm pvc storm water pipe cap Photo0402.jpg

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
so 6 x RGB 2801 for 18 channels.. interesting, very interesting. only 5V, any chance of a 12v version? :p

Trying to think what i could use them for, i have a couple of ideas actually,

any chance of a rough price for them?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The reason these are 5V is to keep the costs right down. Going to 12V would probably double the price.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
ahhh, well next year i will have to introduce some 5V stuff then. Was hoping to just use the one voltage, but alas, that is not going to be the case

G

GoofyGuy

Matt said:
ahhh, well next year i will have to introduce some 5V stuff then. Was hoping to just use the one voltage, but alas, that is not going to be the case

This is my first year in DC lights, and I was trying my hardest to stay on one voltage as well. I failed in that mission but now I have it sorted. Im also color coding the wires, black cover over wire will be 12v, white cover will be 5v. This way I dont get completly lost when its assembly time.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Oh, I forgot to mention that the WS2803 protocol is not exactly the same as the WS2801. Each WS2803 is like 6 x WS2801, but the data is sent a little differently. The data for the last chip is sent first, then the data for the 2nd last chip etc all the way down to the first chip's data last. Simple eh? :D

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I'll make up the other 2 prototype boards and bring to the QLD mini.

At this stage, I'd estimate the parts cost to be around $4 for the PCB, 6 RGB LEDs, driver chip, resistor and capacitor. This is assuming the PCBs are bought in at least 100 quantity.

Phil has said he could conduct the group buy if there's interest.