Pixels in parallel yet still addressable

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
Righto i'll get a photo when I get home :p Expect a round white PCB with 20 outputs all linked together. No electrical components top or bottom layer, a controller with 4 wires marked + - D L and a pair of wires going to a plug for the star as well as the 5v + - feed coming into the tree ( for some reason it doesn't go through the controller)
L and - go to the star as as they are controlled by a mosfet to switch the star off when the power button is pressed.
At some point @Notenoughlights is going to say FFS, can you two @AAH and @Grozzy just go to Bunnings and buy one. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: AAH

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
  • Appreciate

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Nothing to see there ;)
They really missed an opportunity to simplify things by putting in the smarts in that top pcb. They could have simply used identical strings for every position and even made it as 1 continuous string and chopped to suit.

Now that we know most of everything there is to know about this little beastie there is 1 more thing that I'd like to know.
Any chance that you could send some 100% white at the tree and measure what the current is.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Nothing to see there ;)
They really missed an opportunity to simplify things by putting in the smarts in that top pcb. They could have simply used identical strings for every position and even made it as 1 continuous string and chopped to suit.

Now that we know most of everything there is to know about this little beastie there is 1 more thing that I'd like to know.
Any chance that you could send some 100% white at the tree and measure what the current is.
Yep I'll do that tomorrow after work

• Appreciate

AAH

@AAH
Current measurments as follows
All at 100%
White 2.91A
Red 2.37A
Green 2.30A
Blue 2.29A
That's slightly weird. The 195 pixel "should" give you a 100% white current of 10.7A. The individual R, G, B currents are relatively close to what they should be but how the white ends up only slightly more than any of the colours is confuzzling. It should be somewhere close to 7A at least :/

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
That's slightly weird. The 195 pixel "should" give you a 100% white current of 10.7A. The individual R, G, B currents are relatively close to what they should be but how the white ends up only slightly more than any of the colours is confuzzling. It should be somewhere close to 7A at least :/
This does run from a USB power supply, the biggest one I could find in my collection was capable of doing 4.2A @ 5V DC
The wires are also ultra thin on this tree, think standard Bunnings string light wire sizes but smaller.

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
This does run from a USB power supply, the biggest one I could find in my collection was capable of doing 4.2A @ 5V DC
The wires are also ultra thin on this tree, think standard Bunnings string light wire sizes but smaller.
The readings look like they may be RGBW but then that doesn't sit right that you could control them with WLED as RGB
other possibility is the controller is not driving them at 100% but then sum of RGB should still be close to W

As a side I was looking at the ws2822 chip that allows you to write the address to eeprom and connect them in parallel but it uses DMX protocol which again doesn't sit with the fact they work with WLED as WS2811 RGB

Martin Mueller

Light Addicted and proud of it.
Generous elf
GECE pixels use real addressable pixels (WS2811 uses position dependent pixels). In GECE there is an address field followed by data. they could be using such pixels in this tree.

AAH

spiroc

New elf
A fellow Victorian waits 2.5 years to make his 1st post on ACL and he confuzzles me even more with that video and the github link. It looks like these pixels have been confusing people for about a year :jawdrop:
I'm more of a lurker then poster but yes this pixels can be found on aliexpress like fairy lights i run 200 of them from 2A 5V phone charger and esp32+wled the last 20 get dimer on white but for effects run perfect they sell the to run from 3 AA battery's