pixlite 16 with LOR controllers in dmx mode

bassnbuck

New elf
I have tried to set up the dmx outputs to run my LOR ctb16pc AC controllers i have not been successful yet anything you can suggget to help me out. i have the most up to date firmware. I dont understand when it asked for a universe number what do i put,then how does the LOR controller recognize it? does it just use the dmx addressing? i am very confused.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Just want to clarify the overall path.

Is it PC --> E1.31 network --> Pixlite16 --> DMX --> LOR controllers ?
If you are doing this I am pretty sure you will need a DMX to LOR x-over cable...
(someone correct me if I am wrong here.)
I have never done it this way, I used a E1.31 to DMX bridge instead (ECG-D2 or ECG-D4) with a LOR x-over cable

Or

You can have the pixlite16 on E1.31 and the LOR stuff on a LOR USB Dongle

-Blu

bassnbuck

New elf
I have the crossover cable and wanted to do it that way off my dmx port on the pixelite 16. It's the stuff after that I am having trouble with

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Bassnbuk, I'm not sure how much you already know, so my apologies if I cover stuff you already have down pat. First of all you need to set up your channels in LOR. They need to be dmx channels. One channel in LOR controls one output on your controller. Channels are grouped in whats called universes. So for simplicity lets say your starting out so your first channel will be universe 1, channel 1, then next one universe 1, channel 2 etc. There are video on the tutorial section in LOR on how to do this.

Then you need to go to LOR network configuration program. It's under the LOR group on the start menu. You need to set up universe 1 on the dmx tab so that it uses e1.31 and for simplicity I would use multicast at this stage.

Then on the pixlite 16 advatek assistant (need to have controller on and connected to computer for this) you need to go to the dmx outputs and put in that universe 1 gets sent to dmx output 1 (or whichever one you want).

One thing to remember, a universe can only hold 512 channels, so once you have set up 512 channels if you have this many you need to go to universe 2, channel 1.

bassnbuck

New elf
bundyroy im not sequencing in LOR i am using vixen 3 i am just trying to us my LOR controllers in DMX mode so i can overall use E1.31 I tried the stuff you recommended but i am still doing something wrong i think it has to do with the dmx address. on my pixlite 16 i turned on all the dmx outputs for universe 1 and its not doing anything. the LOR controller just blinks green and never changes speed or color.

bassnbuck

New elf
if i have a lor controller with unit id "05" that means that the dmx address is 65-80 that is how you would address the channels in the program correct. It would be universe 1 channel 65-80 . if this is right i have tried this and its not working. do you have to do anything to the controller?

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Maybe come into chat and we could try and work it out?

I myself havent done this but may be able to help. You sure the X-over cable is done properly?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You may want to check with the Pixlite manual but I vaguely recall that the Pixlite boards use a LOR pinout on the dmx output rather than ESTA. If that's the case you don't need a crossover.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I have my LOR controller running off a pixlite 16 through DMX. Mine is unit 1 (only have 1) and I used universe 1 channels 1-12 to make it work. I also used a crossover cable, so I'm guessing that means you need one.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I'm confused about the DMX addressing. How can it be channels 65-80. That's more channels than the 12 outputs on the controller. I'm only new, and have to admit my understanding of DMX is extremely poor but my logic (which I'm guessing is wrong but would like to know how it does work) says unit 1 is channel 1-12, then unit 2 is 13-24 and unit 5 is channel 49-60. Maybe I had better go and read up on my DMX channel allocations.

My only other suggestion is change the unit ID to 1 then I know it's channels 1-12 because it worked for me. Doesn't help though if you have 5 controllers.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Oops. I forgot about that. You can tell I haven't spent much time getting my LOR controller working. Once it worked I haven't touched it since. I also figured it was highly unlikely Shell would have it wrong based on her experience but couldn't work out why. So yeah, I use universe 1, channels 1-16. ::)

Devo

Apprentice elf
Community project designer
AAH said:
You may want to check with the Pixlite manual but I vaguely recall that the Pixlite boards use a LOR pinout on the dmx output rather than ESTA. If that's the case you don't need a crossover.

All P16 board revs that are V3.3 or higher use ESTA standard pinout on the RJ45 DMX connectors. All versions prior to that use the LOR pinout.

Bassnbuck it sounds like you have the PixLite side of things configured correctly. It should really be a simple as enabling the desired DMX output and telling it what E1.31 universe you want it to output.

As a last resort maybe try a different DMX port to make sure there isn't any problem with the first one, but it sounds to me like your issue is occurring somewhere after the DMX output.