Police??

Bird

LOR user
Fasteddy said:
MarcD said:
Even if you turned off your lights, the cars would keep coming and would probably be more of a problem.

This is a very good point as I dont have a show this year but am still seeing 50+ cars a night passing by in a street that would lucky to have 50 cars go down it in a week and there is still some traffic issues, but im not out there managing it this year so it it what it is.

Should put an apology sign at both ends of the street also stating show will be back next year. :D

Callaidyn

New elf
Ok - so I just decided to just go into my local police station and ask them what I can and can't do as I couldn't get in to see a solicitor until tomorrow. Finally some sense and community spirit!! After speaking to two lovely police officers (wish I'd had them last night), they spoke with the Sargent and he is going to write a memo to all of the police in the local area command advising them of my lights, the potential for increase in traffic along our street and that the lights are automatically programmed to go off at 10pm (I need to change this to 9:55pm so the last song doesn't accidentally go over 10pm) on weekdays and 12pm / 11:55pm on weekends and that this is perfectly OK (and within the law)!! He said I have done everything that a "reasonable" person should have (neighbour letter-drop, check the noise across the street each night, have turned it down for the neighbour twice, have turned the Bass and Treble down as low as it can go on the amp which is -10 for the neighbour, got my licence from APRA to broadcast, keep a log - or LOR does - of times on/times off to prove compliance with time restrictions, have spoken with council regarding the complaint to them and my rights, etc.) and that he understands that I do this (and have been doing this since I moved here 3 years ago) for the benefit of the community (and not for any personal benefit). The police that I talked to even said they were going to come around with their families on their nights off to have a look as it sounds impressive :)
Fingers crossed the Grinch across the street leaves me alone now (the Police said they should only attend if it goes over 10pm or 12pm but if they come any earlier they'll ring me first so I can put the kettle on!).
:D :D :D

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
see, it was all in the heat of the moment.. (there the hardest times to play it cool)
but everything will work out your way in the end..
Karma.. :D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Great news and what I expected, if it within the law then you have nothing to worry about.

I would invest in some security cameras because once he realizes he is getting no where with the council and the police, he may very well take matters into his own hands.

MarcD

Full time elf
Agree completely. Highly visible security cameras positioned to cover your entire yard. If he comes back, make sure he's aware of them.

Fasteddy said:
Great news and what I expected, if it within the law then you have nothing to worry about.

I would invest in some security cameras because once he realizes he is getting no where with the council and the police, he may very well take matters into his own hands.

penguineer

Full time elf
I think the police that turned up on the night sounded just a bit over the top, I think he may have had a bad shift and didn't want to deal with "another noisy neighbour complaint".

Cheers!

Baf05

Full time elf
I would advise against really visible cameras, only because they are antagonistic, try talking to him, see if you can’t reach and amicable agreement, do put in some discreet cameras in the meantime, just in case.

If he does continue to be a pest then by all means put up some really visible cameras.

Remember, police are people too, they have wives and kids, are members of the community and some even have Christmas lights ;). But like with all walks of life, there are some tools, but most are pretty good.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
So we never got any updates on the weekend traffic control. Just wondering how it all went?

Callaidyn

New elf
Sorry guys for not updating. Well the neighbour kept ringing the police every night (two or three times a night) for the month of December. A friend who monitors the police scanner says it ran hot every night with dispatch calling the local police and the local police saying they would not be responding until after 10pm (or 12pm on weekends). Our other neighbours said they saw the police visit him a few times (but they didn't visit us again). Then I received a call from one of the police that I had spoken with - apparently it came to a head one night and their words to me were "we had "words" with him last night - he won't be harassing you again". He was telling everyone he had children that were trying to sleep (he doesn't have children) and wrote us a letter saying he needed to "settle his family" by 8:30pm every night and requested we turn our lights off "by 8:30pm at the very latest" every night. He also wanted a formal response as to what we would do to keep people off "
his" footpath who were viewing the lights and how we would stop people from littering (only ever saw rubbish one night and we picked that up). He wrote letters to the council, police, local paper and the real estate who run the local light comp (and no doubt others that we are not aware of). His credibility was blown when he told both the journos from the local paper and off duty police that they had to turn their cars off, turn the music down, wind up their windows (as his "kids" rooms were close to the road) and get off his footpath when they came around at night to look at the lights without realising they all knew what was going on and that he had no children. He is certainly a unique individual :eek: Fingers crossed he moves out before next Christmas!!

I would run lights every night of the year on his side of the house. Just 1 set of solar ones, and put cctv on them to monitor him.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Letter -

Dear neighbour, we have had a meeting in the street and decided that you are no longer welcome in our street and suggest that you place your house on the market and be gone by next Christmas.

Love your friendly neighbours

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
Great advice already. I'd add that you could involve your other neighbours who are happy with your lights. The complaining neighbour might die in a ditch rather than lose face by cooperating with you but might pull his head if approached by another neighbour.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Beacy said:
Letter -

Dear neighbour, we have had a meeting in the street and decided that you are no longer welcome in our street and suggest that you place your house on the market and be gone by next Christmas.

Love your friendly neighbours

From what ive been told this complete tool only moved in recently and its a rental

So I would be telling him it will be twice as big next year and to look for somewhere else to rent when his lease is up if he finds the display so disruptive because its not going to go away, so that just leave him to go away