Power Control PCB For ACL Mk3 Strobe Strings

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Over in the ACL Mk3 strobe buy thread I started discussion about making a small board to allow the strobe strings to be turned on and off without restarting at the non-random part of the sequence.

Here's what I've come up with:

apc1037.jpg

You connect 5V power and the strobe string to it, as well as a channel output from the DC controller.

This board keeps the strobe string powered up at a low enough voltage to run (and randomise) but not enough to make them visible.

When the control input is pulled low by the DC controller, the voltage to the strobes is increased to the full 5V. At this point they are flashing randomly.

Because the voltage to the strobe string never drops to zero, they never drop back to the initial part where they're mostly in sync.

I'm estimating that I could sell these boards for $10. Postage for 1-10 boards would be an additional $10.

Who's interested in these?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
2 pls, and thanks for your efforts looking into this :)

deblen

Full time elf
Hi David,
Excellent, I purchased 4 sets in the original buy
Put me down for 4 boards

Deblen

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Is it going to be possible to get these to the US in time? I think this is a great idea, and I'll finally be able to use the ACL strobes I purchased quite awhile ago. I'd take 4 if they can be sent? (I take it that is Aus Dollars. Doesn't matter, just was thinking...)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The video starts off with a standard power-up so you can see how not-random they are to start with.

After they are randomised I start switching them on and off via the new PCB. In your display you'd have a DC controller channel doing the switching.

There's no need to have them visible during the start of course. I just did so you could see how bad they start off as.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNvRibmTvg