Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Lightning - its all off

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
With rain more than likely to occur for most over the next month (and in some areas a whole lot of rain this weekend) my question is does the show still go on? I have to admit with each passing shower at my place over the last few weeks I have been nervous that everything will still work after. So far (touch wood) all good. If it is raining, do you still have a full show, or do you scale it back (remove sequences, remove models etc). Should I let things dry out before turning them on?

What about lighting? My thoughts are if lightning is in the area the show is canceled (don't want people sitting in a car getting hit by a bolt). What about props - do they need to be grounded, like mega trees?

And not forgetting our northern neighbors - what about in the snow?

As for many (like myself) it is their first show, so what tips, suggestions can people offer?

Brad

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Well if you made your elements and controller/PSU enclosures waterproof and safe enough from the get go, in theory the show could go on. But if the weather is that bad, do you really expect anyone (particularly early Dec) to come visit? (would you go out to see displays in the rain?...)
My 2c, most of my controllers & PSUs are out of the weather or covered well. But if it has been pouring i will do a quick check to see there are no water ingress at the PSUs and controllers first. If they are dry then i feel its safe to switch on.
In summary, if in doubt, don't risk a blackout!

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
light showers it's on, extreme heavy downpour and/or lightning it's off
Figure if the weather is that bad no one will be visiting anyway. For people on major roads that might be different.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I switch off early if it begins raining during showtime (or cancel the schedule if it is raining before 8:30). Drizzle is OK, though. If the rain clears early enough, then I may switch back on.

I live on a corner where the front road has unbroken yellow lines due to a blind corner. On a typical night many cars will pull into the side street and the people will get out (lured by a basket of candy canes?). However, on wet nights the temptation is there for them to stay in their cars, which when combined with a slippery road could lead to an unwanted situation. Besides, visitor numbers drop on those wet nights!

When it does rain, I keep some static window lights on and a scrolling message sign is changed to a preprogrammed "cancelled due to rain" message.

wce06

Apprentice elf
I would think they would be off, due to risk and the fact that no one will be standing outside to watch anyway. Even sitting in your car wouldn't be to good due to fogging up and rain.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Light too medium rain yes lights on, heavy rain or lightning off ! Here in Adelaide last night had a big storm come through so we cancelled the show and went out too the movies as figured wont have a chance too get out now till new years ! our display has been running since the 18th of nov (Annual xmas pageant day)we are expecting more bad weather today so will just have too wait and see for tonight will be upto mother nature ! going too go check all enclosures etc shortly .
I've never really had too many problems with moisture touch wood (am now)once we had water get into an extension cord and blackout whole house ! Took sometime too find the culprit running round crazy in the dark whilst there was an audience waiting for lights to come back on .now we have had a separate circuit put in for xmas lights much better ! Last year mother nature had a bit of fun and trashed heaps in the front yard wind and major rain blew a lot of things over and somethings that shouldn't get wet did but I spent the day drying things with hairdryers etc and restaked and straightened up things and was back running that night thankfully !
Goodluck everyone
And I would say if you're not sure or confident may be safer too leave off!

Boof63

Senior elf
Turn my off as no matter how well you weatherproof, some water will get in at some point.
so pull the plug and hope for drying day the next day.
Have covered my tree stars in bubble wrap, acts as a diffuser as well as protecting from most of the
heaviest rain. (stars have the most solders and joins)
Cheers Boof63

drakky

Senior elf
as long as these so called waterproof pigtails are really waterproof then I'll run mine in light rain , but as the others said heavy rain and lightning then I'll shut it down as there probably won't be anyone out there watch in those conditions anyways

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I also leave the full show on, rain hail or shine, well maybe not shine make that dark.

Last year we had 100km/hr winds and my show was still on until we lost power so I started up the generator but the wife said I was stupid so didn't power the lights, yet we still had cars drive past and slowing down waiting for lights. you need to make and install the lights to withstand the worst elements, then you don't have to worry.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I assume that it will rain long and hard at some stage so build with that in mind.

One thing I did do was take the large candy canes off the fence when strong winds were expected.

jaredo

if (blink==true){ doFlash(); }
I also leave the full show on, rain hail or shine, well maybe not shine make that dark.

Last year we had 100km/hr winds and my show was still on until we lost power so I started up the generator but the wife said I was stupid so didn't power the lights, yet we still had cars drive past and slowing down waiting for lights. you need to make and install the lights to withstand the worst elements, then you don't have to worry.

Very might the same here, show was built to run under water, controllers might need some floaties though.
I still get visitors when it's raining and one or two FB messages asking if it going to run.

It's weird, but some people enjoy touring around / sitting in their car while it rains, those are probably the only people who will show up lol.
You have to sort of gauge what your audience will do, maybe inner city or less regional will be less likely to come out, some other places visitors will be more eager

diyer

Full time elf
Earlier today I thought that I might display tonight, but for the last 6 hours it hasn't stopped raining, now it's pouring down! Unfortunately no lights tonight