Rainbow brain on e1.31 network

vincerules

Full time elf
Does anyone know if I could connect a rainbow brain (from seasonal entertainment) to a switch port from my e1.31 network or if I would need some type of adapter? Thanks!

neilric99

Full time elf
The rainbow brain input is DMX and it is a DMX controller which outputs 3 channel high current outputs to the rainbow floods. So no you dont plug the rainbow into your e1.31 switch. you will need a DMX output to drive it though and the J2sys ECG-D4 is great for this, the ecg-d4 will plug into your e1.31 network and its outputs can plug into the rainbow brain input.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DMX and E1.31 are different forms of communication, so a DMX controller (like the rainbow brain) will not work with an E1.31 communications and a E1.31 controller will not work with DMX

What you need is either an E1.31 to DMX converter and the ECG-D2 may offer you the best value if all you want is E1.31 coming out of the computer, or you could use a standard USB DMX dongle instead to run your DMX universe.

vincerules

Full time elf
Thanks guys for the quick answers, that's what I need to know.

Here's the back story. I currently have a lor DC board controlling some rainbow floods. I need the DC board for another project, controlling some 12v light strips for my wireframes, so I was thinking of switching the floods to a rainbow brain. But since I will have to buy something else as well as the brain, I'll be better off just getting a second DC board.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
vincerules said:
Thanks guys for the quick answers, that's what I need to know.

Here's the back story. I currently have a lor DC board controlling some rainbow floods. I need the DC board for another project, controlling some 12v light strips for my wireframes, so I was thinking of switching the floods to a rainbow brain. But since I will have to buy something else as well as the brain, I'll be better off just getting a second DC board.

You may not have to buy anything if you decide to use your LOR dongle as a DMX dongle instead, then run your LOR DC controller in DMX mode and then you can run both your rainbow brain and the DC controller from the same DMX network