Ray's 10w and 30w DMX Flood Lights, and programming using DMX Writer "AT3031"

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Since I now have one of the AT3031 address writers, I will have a crack at working out what data is being transferred during the programming sequence. An initial look with my logic analyser suggests that the data sent to the flood is actually a short DMX frame.

This will be something I'll do as I get more time and/or am bored, so I'll post again once I've got some more news. The ultimate goal is to replicate the programmer hardware in PC software (in conjunction with a USB dongle).

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
Since I now have one of the AT3031 address writers, I will have a crack at working out what data is being transferred during the programming sequence. An initial look with my logic analyser suggests that the data sent to the flood is actually a short DMX frame.

This will be something I'll do as I get more time and/or am bored, so I'll post again once I've got some more news. The ultimate goal is to replicate the programmer hardware in PC software (in conjunction with a USB dongle).
Sounds good! Would it be viable to send the data via e1.31?

Out of interest, if someone was interested in experimenting with this sort of thing, what would you get - a USB based logic analyser?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Not sure if this will work with E1.31 based DMX, as the programming *may* require the DMX frames to be very short (not the whole 513 bytes).

I used a Saleae Logic (8 bit) analyser to check it. The software has conventional serial, parallel, SPI, etc as well as DMX protocol recognition.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
Not sure if this will work with E1.31 based DMX, as the programming *may* require the DMX frames to be very short (not the whole 513 bytes).

I used a Saleae Logic (8 bit) analyser to check it. The software has conventional serial, parallel, SPI, etc as well as DMX protocol recognition.
Cool, might have to get one.. More toys!

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf

dkuzmanoski

New elf
Hello,

I recently bought AT3031 address writer. Can someone please tell me is it possible to write DMX addresses on several lights connected at same time? I have RGB LED lights with DMX module build-in and they are pre-labeled with addresses. I want to change all the addresses according my needs.For example: If I connect 5 pcs. LED lights and the DMX signal goes in the first one and out to in the second one and out from it to in the third one... is it possible to change the addresses with this writer to program all of them at same time to give them following addresses I-LED 001 002 003; II-LED 004 005 006; III-LED 007 008 009; IV-LED 010 011 012 and V-LED 013 014 015 ?

I hope that you will reply. Thank you in advance.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
No, you can only have one light connected to the programmer at once.

They are all effectively wired in parallel even though they have "in" and "out" data sockets.