Rays power supply question

jediknight2

Full time elf
I purchased a couple of these power supplies for my setup, http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_289599951.html . I can figure out the connections...however the one thing I see that I don't understand is the voltage dial...anyone have experience with these?
powersupply.jpg

dpitts

Apprentice elf
It adjusts the voltage. By turning counter clockwise the voltage output will be lowered and clockwise will increase voltage. Usually you can set the output voltage +- a volt or so.

jediknight2

Full time elf
I just don't wanna muck with it if I don't havta...I know the unit adjust from around 9 volts to 15 volts...I assume the middle is where I wanna be :)

BrianJ

Full time elf
just leave it where it was set from Ray, you can check the output voltage if you like with a meter and tweak it but generally it should be fine from the factory

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I agree with Brian, these are generally set very close to the mark at the factory so there is no need to adjust it. At most you may want to check what voltage you are outputting, but never adjust it if you dont have a voltage meter to test what the voltage is.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I would always check the actual output voltage before use, especially on the cheaper (clone) versions.

It only takes a few seconds and may save you from an expensive mistake. :)

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
i just checked the ones i havent used yet, all of them are 12v, they tested at 12.08V, im assuming that that close is acceptable?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
That's fine Matt. Setting them up to a couple of hundred mV on the high side (5.2V or 12.2V etc) should never be a problem.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
For most non 5V supplies some variation isn't likely to be a problem. 5V supplies can be running into ICs directly like pixels or into microprocessors and a lot of these sort of devices have an absolute maximum voltage of 5.5V.

Crazydave

New elf
Also.. the power supplies i bought (Meanwell while not from ray they also have one) were set to 220v input... in the US we use 110v (the little orange slider switch)

this GREATLY effects the output voltage of the Power Supply....and perhaps damages the unit

so:

MAKE SURE THE INPUT VOLTAGE SWITCH IS PROPERLY SET FOR YOUR WALL VOLTAGE!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Crazydave said:
Also.. the power supplies i bought (Meanwell while not from ray they also have one) were set to 220v input... in the US we use 110v (the little orange slider switch)

Just a quick note to say that the typical cheap power supplies from China are not Mean Well, despite having a similar overall appearance and MW symbol on them.

jediknight2

Full time elf
With the way things are manufactured today...I wouldn't be surprised if MeanWell has their PS made by the same people...not saying they are, but electronics all across the country are done that way

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Whilst that is true of many products these days, the genuine Mean Well units and their clones are quite different in their internal construction.

Dave

Full time elf
I have approx 20 of these power supplies and yes check the voltage of them. Check them on a weekly basis. I have had a couple increase voltage during a show and over power LEDs and we all know what that leads to. Other than that, for the price, i'm happy with mine (i also have a couple of back ups, i have lost 1 completely during a show).