Rectangular Pixels

vincerules

Full time elf
neil said:
after paying shipping the price is about the same

That is true, but if he is going to be ordering the other pixel strips and stuff from Ray then shipping isnt as big of a factor.

Gilrock

Full time elf

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
my experience with rectangle modules is a moderate failure rate, although mine where the 2801 modules which are the same construction. I had 200 modules in canes and candles in my display and replaces 30 of them throughout the show season. Just thought that was worth a mention.
They are great to work with.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
CopperCreekLights said:
Hmm...I'm wondering if I ordered the wrong thing. I bought a couple sets of these hoping to build coro canes with them. They are only $0.60 a piece so it got me wondering. The picture showed WS2811 5050 RGB but I notice the link says 256 gray scale. That other link where they are $0.90 it says its a mini controller + the modules.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-digital-module-WS2811IC-5050-3LEDS-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string-256-gray-scale/578798417.html
Gil
I used these for my candy canes for 2012, at $12 for a string of 20 they are the same price as the dumb modules so great value. The 256 greay scale just means its 8 bit colour with 256 dimming steps for each colour.

bob_moody

Apprentice elf
Just an update on the order.
I got the pixels in on sat (01/19/13). Shipping was pretty quick
I ordered a P2 from Ed on 01/22 and got it yesterday 01/26.

Set up 40 of the pixels on the bench, configured the P2 and we have light!

So far no problems. Did have to tie a ground to the clock/data line to stop the shimmer on pixel 1 and other odd behavior.

I will add that these are very bright.

Bob

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
bob_moody said:
So far no problems. Did have to tie a ground to the clock/data line to stop the shimmer on pixel 1 and other odd behavior.

Not really sure what you mean here. Can you expand on that?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
David_AVD said:
bob_moody said:

Not really sure what you mean here. Can you expand on that?

Im curious as well, are you saying that you connected your clock and data line to ground, doesnt seem right.

bob_moody

Apprentice elf
Let me clarify...

Controller: J1Sys P2 - Output is V+, Grnd, Clock and Data
Pixels: These have only 3 wires - V+, Grnd, Clk/Data

I'm injecting power to pixels after the P2 not from it...
So there was only 1 wire from the pixels (clk/data) going to the P2 (Data)

So I tied the gnd from the P2 to the gnd of the pixels, and everything cleared up...

By everything cleared up, I had the first pixel shimmering, and then what ever pixel was active, the next would shimmer..

Bob

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ok that makes sense and is why you always tie grounds together as you didnt have the ground tied directly from the P2 to the first pixel. All the drawing show this tied together and its no surprise you ended up with that result initially.

the 2811 do not have a clock, its a data wire only

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Binkles said:
bob_moody said:
I ordered a P2 from Ed on 01/22 and got it yesterday 01/26.

Are you in Australia? I ordered my p2 on the 10th and still waiting.....

He is in the US.

Normally Australian orders have been sent from Phil and take around a week to 2 but if there is none left and they have been sent direct from the US it can take up to a month with normal shipping

Binkles

Full time elf
Phew. Thanks for that. I'll have to keep that in mind to order early if I need another later in the year.