RGB Gradient Editor Util for Vixen

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I'm currently programming a RGB gradient editor utility that can export to Vixen 2 file format. Attached is an intial screen capture.

This is work in progress still, but my two goals at this stage is to be able to...
a) create basic RGB gradients/frades using an internal editor
b) import images & sample a row of pixels colours horizontally so they can be mapped to RGB channel data. This way you can use photoshop (or whatever) to create any fancy RGB gradient pattern, then convert it to RGB channel data.

Export functionality should have a timeline ability so the gradient can appear to scroll through an RGB pixel string.

Hopefully I will have a beta ready soon if there is interest.

Attachments

• RGBgradedit1.jpg
    RGBgradedit1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 64

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
David_AVD said:
Nice. Out of curiosity, what's it written in?
Visual Basic 6. I'm thinking I'm really gonna have to start learning VB.NET - then I believe it could be a native Vixen addon - but programming isn't my day job :)

I'll try and get a alpha version ready tonight that will demo the interface (so far) - but haven't programmed the export yet.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Attached is an alpha version - with what I hope is a mostly working interface.

However, known issues:
1) Validation of the step count text boxes is incomplete - entering non numbers will result in errors
2) Increasing the "Number of Steps" (to make the gradient longer), when in the hundreds range may be slow depending on your PC speed. This is currently limited to 1000, my Core i7/Win7 machine locked up bigtime when i started putting in bigger names.

Tomorrow night I will write the Export code :)

Attachments

• RGBgradMaker-alpha.zip
    16.9 KB · Views: 36

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Now I've got my RGB gear from Ray I've recommenced some more development.

I can now map the gradient against Vixen's Waveform generated data. eg: copy & paste 50 channels of (black & white) waveform/peak level matrix data from Vixen and the app will map the gradient against it, generating150 channels of completely unreadable RGB data / Vixen channels.

Here's a video of the result like this... http://youtu.be/FFFgP6hPsd8

If anyone's interested, I'll try to get a beta copy online.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
You could probably import the Vixen file in to LSP? :)

I'm surprising LSP doesn't have something like this already. Technically to program this logic, it's just a matter of aligning the gradient (eg: an array of colour values) against the channels with the alignment point being where the peak level channel is.

eg:

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Attached is my latest build.

Generated data appears in a Notepad file (copy2vixen.txt). Then can then be dumped back in to Vixen via copy & paste. (Note that often notepad will not come to focus when it opens, but it will appear on the taskbar)

To 'wave-map' the gradient for level-meter style effect as per my previous video, you'll need to create a waveform effect in Vixen that matches the same number of steps/channels within the Gradient. Copy & paste this data in to the textbox at the bottom of the window. Note the text input is limited to ~65k charactors, so you'll probably need to do it in smaller sections for an entire song if there are lots of channels.

Also, i found the transparent paste function in Vixen creates some fancy overlay effects. I had a mild scrolling red/black fade, then could transparent paste the waveform gradient over top. The colour blending then goes out (eg: increases due to Vixen blending it) - but it's still a very cool effect!

Attachments

• RGB-Gradient-Maker-Alpha1.zip
    22.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 19