RGB High Power Wall Washers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bird

LOR user
Joined
Nov 8, 2011
Messages
1,746
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
So, 1M = about 40", if picture is correct the colors repete about every 100mm, so about 10 sets of RGBs.
Would the pros disclose the best suggested controller for this element. Assuming 2-4 units.

If my thinking is wrong let me know.

Brightness / lumens is the only other question I can think of.
 

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Joined
Apr 26, 2010
Messages
6,645
Location
Albion Park NSW
Bird said:
So, 1M = about 40", if picture is correct the colors repete about every 100mm, so about 10 sets of RGBs.
Would the pros disclose the best suggested controller for this element. Assuming 2-4 units.

If my thinking is wrong let me know.

Brightness / lumens is the only other question I can think of.
From what i gather these have an inbuilt constant current controller, so all you need is power and DMX in
 

kane

Dedicated elf
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
1,033
Location
Trigg (Northern suburbs of Perth)
Another couple quick queries - do they have a dip switch to set the dmx start address or do they have some other way of setting this?

Also do they have a dmx out (and power out I suppose) at the other end or do they just have dmx and power in?

And finally, when would the expected turnaround be for getting these - the next few months or longer term?
 

westy27

Apprentice elf
Joined
Nov 20, 2011
Messages
73
Location
Newcastle
Kane,


Im sure harrison will correct me if wrong but by the third picture (male and female 4 pin plugs) it looks like it has DMX and power out the other end to daisy chain them.


I used these a few years ago, looked pretty much the same but might not have same drivers / LED but they worked quite well. RRP for these is well over $50 or even $100 so this seems like a great deal if build quality and LED's are up to spec
 

kane

Dedicated elf
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
1,033
Location
Trigg (Northern suburbs of Perth)
westy27 said:
Im sure harrison will correct me if wrong but by the third picture (male and female 4 pin plugs) it looks like it has DMX and power out the other end to daisy chain them.
Aha, yes, missed that photo - looks about right to me. Will have to remember to ask for spare connectors to wire up some cables to.

It'd be interesting get an idea of the current rating of the cabling (and connectors) used, to see how many of them you could daisy chain. Obviously at 1.5A per metre, if you ran 10 of them, you might hit some issues.

Wonder if 12V would be an option?
 

David_AVD

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Community project designer
Generous elf
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
4,184
Location
Victoria Point (Brisbane)
Hmmm... if these use separate red, green and blue LEDs they won't provide colour mixing like most people probably expect.
 

kane

Dedicated elf
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
1,033
Location
Trigg (Northern suburbs of Perth)
David_AVD said:
Hmmm... if these use separate red, green and blue LEDs they won't provide colour mixing like most people probably expect.
Don't they give the same sort of effect when the wall is a certain distance from the lights? The Rainbow Floods also use separate R, G & B LEDs (albeit much smaller LEDs) and they apparently colour mix well (I haven't actually tested mine outside yet)

Does anyone have any of these that can speak from experience?
 

David_AVD

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Community project designer
Generous elf
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
4,184
Location
Victoria Point (Brisbane)
I think I'd want to see one close up before committing to them. Some photos of similar units show very obvious colour banding, while others look not too bad. :eek:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top