RJ45 cable Glands

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
How do people pass the network cable through the side of the controller box.

My first thought was to get a cable gland big enough to take the rj45 plug and put it through first and then run another cable through it as well to fill the gap. Couple of issues I can see. You have to remove other cable first to get network cable out. If other cable is power it might interfere with network data (not sure, just guessing on that one).

Is there any cable glands (maybe wrong terminology) that can pass and seal on a rj45 network cable.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Hiya bundy

I do as you say, cable glad big enough to put a few through, just have to pass the RJ45 one through first. I dont put the power cable through the same gland tho, as you say, possible noise issues.

I have seen some flash enclosures where there is the socket on the side of it, too flash for me.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I use a good quality 20mm cable gland which opens up enough to allow the rj45 plug to go through but to also compress enough to make a seal when tightened

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks ladies and gents. I've got a sneaking suspicion I only bought 16 and 25mm cable glands. Just my luck, but will have to check. I didn't think a gland that passed the plug would be able to seal on the cable. It's good to know it's possible.

The other thing I just thought of is if I split the rubber seal and then put that on the cable before passing it through the gland it might work/help as well.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Another method is to just use a 90 degree elbow pointing down and putting the RJ45 cable through that, it also acts as a ventilation hole

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
You can always put the RJ45 connector on after for pass the cable through the gland. No good if you want to remove the cable later with the plug still on it.

I believe there are glands with a split insert that wraps around the CAT5 after you've passed the RJ45 through the larger hole that the insert goes into.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Well I can now confirm a 16mm cable gland is too small and a 25mm cable gland is too big. Off to the electrical shop for me.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I use bull nosed cable entries like http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p6895-white-bullnose-wallplate/ . They allow easy access for the cat5 connections and they double as a vent for letting the air into enclosures. The brush on them seals them pretty well to stop creepy crawlies climbing up there but I give them a quick hit with surface spray to make sure any insects die a painful death for trying to get inside.

multicast

Senior elf
I have pass through rj45 jacks. It's the really nice way of doing it but a bit spendy

plasmadrive

Full time elf
Anyone ever think about getting a gland connector for the cable size and splitting the rubber grommet with a razor on one side? When you tighten it down it will seal again. I may not want to put it underwater, but the weather sure wouldn't be an issue I would think.

Works for me. ;)

ShellNZ

Senior elf
AAH said:
I use bull nosed cable entries like http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p6895-white-bullnose-wallplate/ . They allow easy access for the cat5 connections and they double as a vent for letting the air into enclosures. The brush on them seals them pretty well to stop creepy crawlies climbing up there but I give them a quick hit with surface spray to make sure any insects die a painful death for trying to get inside.

Darn, wish I hadda known these existed. Tho......prob woulda been a disaster trying to cut the square in plastic enclosure.

multicast

Senior elf
These work really well. Its a waterproof RJ45 pass through.. I have boxes of 10, $60 plus shipping which includes the waterproof shell for your UTP connector as well.

10257425_10152796812727661_3427486091838641093_o.jpg