Roosta's Display Build Thread

Emersonlights

New elf
Thank you we have a trade account at L & H so will hit up the local one.

Does 3 leds per pixel look ok for a matrix as i have seen some people go with 2812 which seems to be one led per pixel

Roosta

Full time elf
Cool cool.. Not all branches carry them but they should be able to order them in..

Re Matrix (and megatree) resolution.. I think the 30/10 strip is good for what it costs.. I am currently pondering upgrading to 30/30 or 60/60 strip for the matrix and megatree, however each has its draw backs.. Especially in 12v form.. But at this stage I will probably save the money and just stick with the 30/10 for another year..

I have a few different videos of the matrix and megatree doing different effects if you are still deciding which way to go..

Cheers.

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Great write up Roosta, glad you picked up this thread again thanks for sharing.
Love the look of the stars sitting upright on the roof, really nice effect.
I'm interested to know where you sourced black conduit clips? I searched far and wide for black ones but could only find them in the cream/white colour.

Roosta said:

cdjazman

Full time elf
Roosta said:
Cdjazman, 1- Yep all gear is located in one spot..
2- Yes All power goes straight from power supply through a fuse (and negative busbar) out to the field to power the elements.. Falcon is purely data out (and negative)
3- Yes but I guess it depends what you call large distances.. The furtherest data run is from the falcon in garage to the tune to sign, which is approx 25m from falcon to first pixel..

OK very nice - has given me new direction to go........ Is the negative from both controller and p/s for grounding....?

Did you use the Bunnings "Flat Make-a-Bracket" you linked to earlier to secure the power supplies?

Also did you custom make your strips or order them in the extra longer length? ie7m and 8m on roof line.

Curious as to the dual pigtails on your arches........

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
cdjazman said:
Did you use the Bunnings "Flat Make-a-Bracket" you linked to earlier to secure the power supplies?

Bunnings have a whole range of that brand - lots of neat little brackets as well as the flat strip. :)

Roosta

Full time elf
DavidJ247 said:
Great write up Roosta, glad you picked up this thread again thanks for sharing.
Love the look of the stars sitting upright on the roof, really nice effect.
I'm interested to know where you sourced black conduit clips? I searched far and wide for black ones but could only find them in the cream/white colour.

Hey david,

They were grey but just gave then a light coat of black spray paint..

I did consider painting the same colour as the gutter but it was a case of $3 per can for blck or $20 per can for colorbond woodland grey..
full

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:

Roosta

Full time elf
cdjazman said:
OK very nice - has given me new direction to go........ Is the negative from both controller and p/s for grounding....?

Also did you custom make your strips or order them in the extra longer length? ie7m and 8m on roof line.

Curious as to the dual pigtails on your arches........

Yep, all negatives are connected together at/by the busbars..

Yep, use the same flat make a bracket for almost everything.. Hard to tell from pics, but i made the brackets 20mm taller than they needed to be to allow for airflow behind them.

All my strips started out as the basic cheap 5m, dodgy ended strips ray supplies.. Some got shortened, some extended, some stayed the same length..

Dual pig tails were done to allow power injection without the need for using a t piece as it worked out much cheaper, but a but more work.. One connector is a 3pin and tthe other is a 2 pin..

Cheers,
Nik

Roosta

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
cdjazman said:

Bunnings have a whole range of that brand - lots of neat little brackets as well as the flat strip. :)

Haha indeed they do, but the 600mm ones are the most cost effective way of buying when u need lots! I easily would have used 30-40 of them..

Cheers.

cdjazman

Full time elf
Hey Nick.

Wondering where you purchased the following....?

d0568d48795c7ff48e9ee8c4a4cfaa8f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Roosta

Full time elf
cdjazman said:
Hey Nick.

Wondering where you purchased the following....?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

The fuse blocks were from supercheap auto, about $18 each for the 8way ones.. They were the only ones i could find locally that had individual inpuut and outputs and that were rated to 30A per feed.. Cant find them on their website though..

And the busbars came from jaycar electronics.. https://www.jaycar.com.au/16-way-100a-brass-distribution-bar/p/SZ2004

Cheers :)

cdjazman

Full time elf
Hey mate,

The fuse blocks were from supercheap auto, about $18 each for the 8way ones.. They were the only ones i could find locally that had individual inpuut and outputs and that were rated to 30A per feed.. Cant find them on their website though..

And the busbars came from jaycar electronics.. https://www.jaycar.com.au/16-way-100a-brass-distribution-bar/p/SZ2004

Cheers :)

Thanx Nik.

I find it much easier to see visually....Your time and effort has been a huge help.

Roosta

Full time elf
cdjazman said:
Thanx Nik.

I find it much easier to see visually....Your time and effort has been a huge help.

Glad to be able too return the favour mate.. I utilised your display and gear list for inspiration and info in my planning for 2016..

Let me know if u need anything else!

Cheers..

cdjazman

Full time elf
Glad to be able too return the favour mate.. I utilised your display and gear list for inspiration and info in my planning for 2016..

Let me know if u need anything else!

Cheers..

Nice,

I am sure there will be more questions to follow 8) :) ;)

Roosta

Full time elf
Got most of the yard packed into the roof today..

Megatree ready for storage:
full

Also a few have asked about the dual connectors on my strips, couple closer up pics:
full

full

As you can see, one has 3pins (Data, + & -) and one has 2Pins (+&-).. I did this to pretty much every strip for power injection, whether i used it or not..

Cheers..

Last edited:

cdjazman

Full time elf
Nik,

Told you there would be more questions....... :)

With your power supplies on the board how have you run power to them? Where do you have them plugged in?