Roosta's Display Build Thread

Roosta

Full time elf
cdjazman said:
Nik,

Told you there would be more questions....... :)

With your power supplies on the board how have you run power to them? Where do you have them plugged in?

Hey mate,

Haha no problemo.. Ok so my power supplies mains feed, comes from a 15A outlet in the shed, which feeds through a 15A lead (big thick red lead you can see in pics) which then splits and feeds into the 2x 10A curcuitbreaker rcd combos (little white enclosures on top left, one above the other), which then supply the mains to the following row of power supplies, which are just looped one to the next, to the next.. hopefully that makes sense..

Cheers :)

cdjazman

Full time elf
So in effect your power supplies are "daisy chained" from each 10A curcuitbreaker rcd... ?

Sort of like a powerboard without the housing?

Roosta

Full time elf
cdjazman said:
So in effect your power supplies are "daisy chained" from each 10A curcuitbreaker rcd... ?

Sort of like a powerboard without the housing?

Yep, pretty much.. And each 10a cb rcd, is slit from the main feed, kinda like a double adapter..

Roosta

Full time elf
Hey mate,

i used the wago quick connects..2x 3way ones in those particular j boxes.. 1 for +, and other for -.. 3way with 1 main feed in, 1 main feed out, 1 power injection out.. hopefully makes sense..

This box kind of shows them..

full

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:

cdjazman

Full time elf
Nic,

Yeah that makes sense. Thanx for that. Would save me heaps of soldering and also make it cleaner. I like the idea.

I will already have IP67 boxes in the area for Long Range receivers for the pixlite.

I was thinking maybe a power distribution board like the Hexfuse but this seems just as easy.

Thanx again.

Roosta

Full time elf
Ok well seems now that the reno's are mostly under control I may be finding some time to get the 2017 blinky show organised..

So for 2017 my thoughts were that I didnt want to add too many more lights.. However I wanted to add a few new elements to help eccentuate the show.. So my plans for 2017 are:

- 2x 3m tall Fireworks/starbursts located on my roof
- Another 'North pole' tower
- Water jet light show
- White Christmas area
- interactivity of some sort for the viewers

And so it begins... Been doing a bit of research and eagerly awaiting this delivery.. Unfortunately I probably wont have time this week to make up a prototype to bring to the Melbourne mini, but will update here as I go..

full

I will be using these with some home made laminar jets and dmx spot lights to try to achieve something similar to this, woth a twist.. Who knows how it will turn out though ;-)

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:

Roosta

Full time elf
Got a nice little package in the mail today thanks to Hanson Electronics.. Just more bits to chuck in the pile..

full

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:

denno020

Apprentice elf
I know this is going to be a huge request, but is there any chance you could update the images in your posts? The image hosting service you've used doesn't allow them to show up in forum posts anymore, so I'm only seeing 1 or 2 images, and I'm sure I'm missing out on some really good stuff!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Roosta. Annoying as it is, any chance you could re-upload your pics away from Photobucket? You can host them in your own media gallery on ACL if that helps. This is a great thread for all of us to see and pictures do most of the talking!

Roosta

Full time elf
Hello all,

Apologies, I will sort the pics out tomorrow :)

EDIT: Slightly more complicated than expected, I have done the small posts but curently trying to sort out the big main post on page 2

DJ u should have facebook pm'd me.. :)

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:

Roosta

Full time elf
All pic links should now be fixed, thanks to ryan for his assistance :)

Ok so time for an update for where we are at this year..

Plan to have all lights up and running by the 12/11.. Working on some new elements at the moment, which we had to order in some extra bits from ray for.. While delivery this time was super fast did have some issues with the goods but its a long story..

So extra supplies turned up:
View media item 449
Then got myself a couple of short throw projectors and made up a transluscent screen for the middle arch:
View media item 448View media item 447View media item 446
Used some of the new supplies along with some clear tubing I got from a local display manufacturer to cobble this together, plan on running 2 of them up in the air above the roof, firework style..
View media item 450

Also pixelised some cheap solar lights which i bought 60 of for the back yard, but gonna use 10 or so for the xmas light display:
View media item 451
Then got the lovely gf to get to work on pixelising some of the reindeer wire frames we have kicking around from previous displays:
View media item 453
Pretty happy with the end result..

Used halloween to do a bit of a projector test:
View media item 452
Now we are just in full blown blinky mode, the house is littered with pixels, heatshrink, solder and cable :)

Current to do list is:

Make 'fireworks'
- tubing (have)
- Hub (need to make) v1 made unsure on strength
- lights (have)

Make 'arches'
- tubing (have)
- bases (need to make)
- Lights (have, maybe use old matrix 4m strips)

Make 'mini poles'
- Conduit cut in half with single batten diffuser over top, reject shop ball on top, 1-1.2m of strip and 1-2 nodes in ball..

DMX Floods (do something with)

Mains floods
- Use for bright 'flashers'
- Control by Alans board

Water feature? Still keen but unsure how/what

Entire Roof matrix
- have lights need to make brackets and fit to roof

Reindeers
- lights

Projector
- mount projector

Sequences