rPi interference on FM transmitter

TheRichardsons

New elf
Hi Everyone!
I'm pulling my hair out here.
I've got an rPi running FPP to a f16V3, and a ST-7C FM transmitter.

When I run an audio cable from the USB Audio or directly from the pi, I get terrible interference (hum, buzz, feedback.. all sorts)

When I run audio from an iPad or phone there is almost zero interference.

Any tips on how to fix this?

Thanks team!

scamper

Dedicated elf
A lot of people use a sound blaster card, but I found the best solution was to make a external di pole antenna.

Attachments

• How_to_make_a_dipole_antenna.pdf
    244.1 KB · Views: 4

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
1 issue with the Pi's is that the 3.5mm audio output is actually a 4 pin plug with video on it as well as the standard audio. If you haven't used a 4 pin to 3 pin adaptor of some sort then turning off the video on FPP may give you a reduction in what could quite possibly be video that you are hearing.

B4IGO

Apprentice elf
1 issue with the Pi's is that the 3.5mm audio output is actually a 4 pin plug with video on it as well as the standard audio.

Oooooooh! That might explain why my Pi shuts down when i turn on my transmitter?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Could also be a power (not enough current - voltage dropping) issue if the pi is sharing the same power supply as the transmitter?

B4IGO

Apprentice elf
Another good thought David. They are on different plug packs though. I have a sound blaster coming so will see what that does... and when i get some time will dig into it further.

TheRichardsons

New elf
I'll give it a shot. I've noticed left is louder than right with this transmitter as well. (even when running off iPad).