Scrap metal value of old christmas light transformers?

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Has anyone investigated selling off their old OEM christmas light transfomers to any scrap metal recycler places?

I have loads of them that I've accumulated over the years. Since they are heavy it makes me wonder if it's worth anything for the scrap copper/metal value.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
$0.50 - $0.60 per kg is the going rate for "motors" at our local scrap metal merchant. You must take the transformers out of the plastic case before they will accept them though. I used a vice! :D

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I thought that might be the case.

Do you know what the rate for insulated cable is? I'm guessing thin xmas light stuff isn't worth anything?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Insulated wire is approx $2.40 per kg. Oh these are the ex GST prices for business too. Walk in retail customers will be paid less as they will take out the withholding tax.

fathead45

Fiedler Christmas
here in the US im getting about .50 lb for junk strings. have scrapped about 250lbs so far lol.

another tidbit i just learned, 95% of the earths copper has been mined already. one reason scrap copper is going thru the roof.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
fathead45 said:
another tidbit i just learned, 95% of the earths copper has been mined already. one reason scrap copper is going thru the roof.

Also why theres an ever increasing number of Darwin award contestants trying to Liberate live copper from the Railway network..... :eek: