Seeking Flood Light Advice

swampgator352

New elf
Hi all, do you have any advice for someone new to the hobby and looking to begin dabbling with flood lights?

Despite placing my pixel order back in March, I am still waiting to receive it. I am itching to start making progress on something and am considering ordering some pixel flood lights and a controller from a (different) vendor. I anticipate leaving the flood lights up year-round and want to have the option to add simple color effects for various holidays, etc. while still having the option for them to integrate with my actual pixels once they arrive.

Specifically seeking advice about wattage (10 vs 20 vs 30) and anything to consider to maintain flexibility. Many thanks!

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
You have quite a few options in the States with local suppliers such as Wired Watts or Wallys Lights or DIY LED Express (though they're sold out)
They are all WS 2811 RGB LED Floods so fully compatible with xLights and whatever RGB Controller you use.
Difference between 10W, 20W, 30W, 50W is the coverage, this video will give you idea
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHVcyzOSDo&ab_channel=MSP430Projects

I have 4 x 10W floods shining on my light beige coloured garage doors, they just add a bit of background colour.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
A little more information on the intended use would be helpful. All I currently use at the moment is (8) 20w floods to wash the side of my house. The floods are mounted on the fence about 8ft away from the house. Eight of the 20w do a great job on an area approximately 50 ft wide that is 15-20+ feet tall

swampgator352

New elf
I was imagining having maybe 6 or 8 flood lights shining on the front facade of our one-story, white brick home. I would like them to definitely be noticeable, perhaps a bit more than just background. The video was quite helpful, thank you. Leaning towards 20 or 30 watts at this point, I think. I was picturing staking them into the ground in the flower beds and pointing them upwards. Any concerns for that approach?

I've watched a few power injection videos, but not seen much related to the flood lights. How many do you recommend chaining together before needing to inject power? Or is it just a voltage drop issue related to distance?

Any suggestions related to cabling? Direct burial vs running through conduit?