Sending DDP to FPP+Kulp K32A-B From RaspberryPi

cschill2020

New elf
Hi,

I am new to FPP and about to start working on a project involving around 100 5meter ws2811 strips 30,000 leds (10k individually addressable).

I want to test some custom effects/sequences that are generated programatically. I am exploring options for sending DDP to the controller real-time. Something similar to the code here:

Has anyone tried anything like this? Is it as simple as sending the ddp packets to the IP address of the Kulp+FPP? I assume there is a UDP port on the FPP that is listening for this protocol. What port should I use? Are there any other settings on FPP that I would have to apply? Is "bridge mode" still a thing/relevant to this use case?

If anyone has any examples of doing something like this, I would love to see them. Right now I am in over my head wrt to the networking and data protocols. But I have a pretty good grasp of the pixel programming that I want to implement.

Thanks!

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Yes, it is as simple as sending some packets to the UDP port. See http://www.3waylabs.com/ddp/
The FPP device has to be configured though, so it knows which channels in the UDP packets go to which ports / strips.
While this is partly covered by standards / specifications, in reality FPP and xLights have coevolved and are open source so sometimes the best way is to just read the code for them.

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
What did you end up using for controller on this project? Was it a Kulp or two or did you do something else?