Sequenced Mains Switch (DMX Controlled)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
OK, PCB layout is done. P-DMX (12V only) powering option has been added. Sending board run in on Friday.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Got the prototype boards back and there's one obvious error. The footprint for the big relays is mirror reversed. :(

I didn't have the relays when I did the library part and layout. Most of the time the data sheet shows the top view, but this one must have been the bottom view. Doh! :eek:

So the relays fit perfectly, but on the underside of the board. I'll just fit them that way for the prototype and fix the layout for the next run.

kane

Dedicated elf
So David - are these likely to make it into your product list in the next few months, ready for this years displays?

I'm keen on three of them.

Have you worked on the code side of things, and if so - do you think my earlier suggestion of latching would work? First Channel: Relay 1 on, Second Channel: Relay 2 off, etc ?

As mentioned in Chat, I think that development of a little command line utility that allowed us to pass in universe, channel number(s), intensity and duration would be really useful for this. Or, alternatively, manual overide switches to allow us to switch supplies on during the testing phases.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Yeah, I should get time to do more on this project soon.

The "2 channels per relay" method is one way I was looking at doing the control.

Good idea with the utility to spit out data.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
Yeah, I should get time to do more on this project soon.

The "2 channels per relay" method is one way I was looking at doing the control.

Good idea with the utility to spit out data.
Hey David

Just wondering if these are still on the cards? I'm trying to get all my hardware finalised asap, so if these are unlikely to come to fruition, I'll need to change things around a bit

Cheers

Kane

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I just received the new version of the PCB (relay footprint corrected) on Monday. :)

Hope to build it up before the weekend and take it home to write some code for it.

kane

Dedicated elf
Looks nice. I was wondering what the thing to the right was, until I read back and noticed you'd said onboard transformer - that's perfect!

Put me down for 3 (assuming that the latching style of operation discussed earlier works)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Code is written that has two modes (jumper selectable):

1) 4 DMX channels - 1 for each relay so over 50% level is on and under is off.

2) 8 DMX channels - 2 for each relay so one going over 50% turns on and other going over 50% turns it off.

A separate jumper also determines if the outputs will be forced off after 60 seconds of no DMX.

The DMX start channel is set like the DC48, etc (press button at power-up).

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Pricing for this board will be $95 including GST, fully built and tested. The bare board itself is quite expensive in small quantity due to the size. Add in the 30 amp relays, etc and it all adds up.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
Pricing for this board will be $95 including GST, fully built and tested. The bare board itself is quite expensive in small quantity due to the size. Add in the 30 amp relays, etc and it all adds up.
Maybe I'll see if I can get away with 2 then! I have two locations, so will certainly need at least two - I was originally thinking I'd allocate a relay to each power supply, but I suppose I may as well have a couple power supplies on each relay.

Will you add these to your site, or shall we order via PM?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Ah crap. I had the wrong item open in the kitting screen when I worked out the price.

The final price of these is still to be determined but will be over $100 built and tested.

In the meantime I will honour the $95 price to Kane.

Sorry for any inconvenience. :-[

kane

Dedicated elf
David

Boards have arrived, and will hook them up soon. You mention what the jumpers do, but which one is which?

Also, the P-DMX jumper - I assume that should be removed if not using P-DMX?

Also, is the trigger connection used? I had a thought about a good use for it - a manual override, so you could hook up a switch to it, and manually trigger the relays.. (perhaps in a staggered arrangement so they turn on with a second between each relay or something) This would be useful during testing..

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Option jumper A selects 4 channel (jumper off) or 8 channel (jumper on) mode.

In 4 channel mode, the relay is on when that channel is over 50% and off when it's under 50%.

In 8 channel mode, channel 1 going over 50% turns relay 1 on even if returned to below 50% level. Channel 2 going over 50% turns relay 1 off, even if returned to below 50% level.

Option jumper B selects what happens when the DMX stream is lost for 60 seconds. If the jumper is off, all relays will switch off after 60 seconds of no DMX. If the jumper if on, the relays will stay in their current state (while power is available).

The trigger connection is not currently implemented.

The P-DMX jumper can be left on even with main power if you like. There is a blocking diode to stop the mains power from feeding back out onto the P-DMX pins of the RJ45s. If you do have a P-DMX input (on the RJ45s), it needs to be 12V @ 500mA. If it's higher than 12V, remove the jumper.

Oh BTW, both option jumpers must be removed when using the ICSP (programming connector).