Shared Sequences?

lightsonlinden

New elf
My first year to attempt all RGB using Xlights and Falcon controllers......I am on a hunt for shared xlights sequences.... can anyone point me to a good source if one exists?

I am aware of the ones for sale on the nutcracker/xlights store and am considering buying some of those.

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
lightsonlinden said:
Thanks - I am looking for xlights sequences nothing AC related.
I think I know what you mean since most of us use pixels and/or dumb RGB when referring to Xlights, but xlights can be used to sequence any AC lights as well. Whether you use AC or DC is more a controller question and not a sequencer topic.
Another spot you may try looking for sequences is over on the LOR forum, free to sign up and LOR sequences import very easily into Xlights.

lightsonlinden

New elf
What is the ease of bring LOR into Xlights?

Perhaps my thinking is all wrong but if using RGB I have one model can do anything RGB... in LOR AC I have to have multiple channels to make the one model have different colors, etc so it seems to be the import from LOR to Xlights is more difficult.

I could just be plain ill informed given I am new to this xlights/rgb stuff.

battle79

Full time elf
Most of the time when people share sequences, all they are really doing is using the data from someone else's sequence to get the timing marks to then add there own effects too.

This is because everybody has different display elements. Once you have some timing marks to work from selecting the effects can be the easy part (unless your like me and keep fiddling with them for ever).

So if another sequence has only 50 channels, you can still use the timings from those 50 channels to then drop your RGB effects into your sequence. Hopefully that makes sense.

Basically, unless you build the exact same props, the exact same way, as someone else's then you won't be able to use their sequences straight up.

Regards,
Rowan

Gilrock

Full time elf
battle79 said:
Most of the time when people share sequences, all they are really doing is using the data from someone else's sequence to get the timing marks to then add there own effects too.

This is because everybody has different display elements. Once you have some timing marks to work from selecting the effects can be the easy part (unless your like me and keep fiddling with them for ever).

So if another sequence has only 50 channels, you can still use the timings from those 50 channels to then drop your RGB effects into your sequence. Hopefully that makes sense.

Basically, unless you build the exact same props, the exact same way, as someone else's then you won't be able to use their sequences straight up.

Regards,
Rowan

So that's not true with xLights because with our design any effect can be placed on any model. We've created an import process where you can map the models from someones else's house to the models on your house. Logan created a Star Wars sequence that a ton of use adapted to our displays last year. That sequence got me on the news as well as at least one or two other xLights users.

livetoride

Full time elf
Gilrock said:
battle79 said:

Regards,
Rowan

So that's not true with xLights because with our design any effect can be placed on any model. We've created an import process where you can map the models from someones else's house to the models on your house. Logan created a Star Wars sequence that a ton of use adapted to our displays last year. That sequence got me on the news as well as at least one or two other xLights users.

Is there a video to show this Gilrock? I tried importing that very sequence and it just asked me to rename all the props of the original sequence, when I didn't all i got was the timing marks but would love to have another look at it.

robj

New elf
Live2ride-Daniel said:
Is there a video to show this Gilrock? I tried importing that very sequence and it just asked me to rename all the props of the original sequence, when I didn't all i got was the timing marks but would love to have another look at it.

Here's a video of the process. Xlights is awesome with this remapping feature.

https://vimeo.com/164802500

livetoride

Full time elf
Thanks Rob I knew there was a video somewhere but I couldn't find it, Cheers

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Gilrock

Full time elf
Live2ride-Daniel said:

There is more than one method. You can use the import mapping which is suggested in that video. That feature wasn't as nice when I imported it so I used an alternate method. First I copied all the images to a sub-folder of my show folder. Then I copied the <any_sequence>.xml file over to my show directory. Before I opened it in xLights I opened the xml in Notepad++ and looked for the "c:\" pathnames on one of the images. Then I did a global search/replace to fix that path to the new location under my show folder. So now I was ready to open the sequence. I opened it up and yes you get a ton of questions because you don't have the same model names that he did. So for each model listed you have to decide do you want to delete it or rename it to one of your models which will take all of its effects and put it on your model. So it helps if you first create an alternate show directory where you put all of Logan's files and then open it in xLights to view his sequence. Then you can watch the sequence and decide which of his models you want to map to yours.

So yeah there is no easy button. It took me about an hour but the result was amazing to have a show that wasn't even designed for my house. It's great because I spend so much time programming I don't have as much time as everyone else to work on my own show.

And this was the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rw8INjbzZs

Boof63

Senior elf
Great job Gil, question where can you access Logans Files please
Cheers Boof63