Shipping with Ray

dougd

Full time elf
Did an order with Ray this morning. When I received the quote I thought the shipping seemed high for the size of the order, $102. Just for kicks I ordered the same exact stuff online and shipping came up to $128. Not much of a savings there.

Looked back at the 2 orders I did this year and shipping on this order compared to those orders seems high.

Anyone ever notice anything like this, has shipping gone up lately?

Just curious.

dougd

Full time elf
4 Sets of those strobes, 20 sets of regular pixel string nodes and 60 of the 2 pin connectors. Shipping was over 20% of my order :(.

dougd

Full time elf
Well percentage wise it was a bummer to me, first order this year $900 pixels, mostly 5 meter strips, shipping was $88, so shipping was roughly 10%.

2nd order, 70 sets of pixels nodes , 60 connectors, some 5 meter strips, total pixels was 1250, shipping was $220 shipping percentage 17%

Todays order, $400 worth of pixels, shipping was $100 so shipping percentage was 25%.

Smaller orders the shipping charge just looks alot worse I guess.

Adam007

Adam007
I ordered 40x connectors and 1x 27ch controller.. 50% shipping cost.

Small order does that I guess

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
When I bought 200 4 pin extension cables a couple of years ago, the freight price was almost the same as the goods. It's worked out on the actual or "cubed" weight, whichever is the higher.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
dougd said:
Well percentage wise it was a bummer to me, first order this year $900 pixels, mostly 5 meter strips, shipping was $88, so shipping was roughly 10%.

2nd order, 70 sets of pixels nodes , 60 connectors, some 5 meter strips, total pixels was 1250, shipping was $220 shipping percentage 17%

Todays order, $400 worth of pixels, shipping was $100 so shipping percentage was 25%.

Smaller orders the shipping charge just looks alot worse I guess.

Strip is fairly cheap to ship as it doesnt weigh much compared to strings which are more as there is more weight and then plugs seem to always cost a bit to ship as they have more weight and power supplies cost a fair bit as well due to there weight but are not bulky

You cant use % here as shipping has never been based on the % of the cost of goods, its based on weight or size of order and that can vary greatly depending on what you have purchased.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Being all the way over in Florida has caused some pretty high shipping rates for me...

Order #1 $160 shipping on $615 order (26%)
Order #2 $280 shipping on $1600 order (18%)
Order #3 $170 shipping on $1060 order (16%)
Order #4 $800 shipping on $4400 order (18%)
Order #5 $230 shipping on $1075 order (21%)

... but the highest percentage one was back in January of this year... of course, there was a ton of 2-core and 3-core cords in that one... heavy copper weight...

... no not all that was for me... and I made a mistake on order #2 and had to re-order a good portion of what was in that order as order #3.

-Louie

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
dougd said:
Well, it looks like my shipping was right in line, just lucky on that one order I guess.

It not luck, strips dont weigh much and are very compact when packed so are cheaper to ship, has always been my experience.

magii

Apprentice elf
My last order was over 2k in shipping. It came in 12 boxes and weighed over 800 lbs. total. Any time I have ordered pigtails, extensions, wire, etc. , in other words the heavy stuff, shipping is high. Still it figures out to be less than I can purchase for with any of the "vendors".

Shanta

New elf
While we're talking shipping, I just got my first order from Ray. Came less than 10 days after I placed it (on a Sunday night). I was quite pleased. I know some folks have complained recently that he must be swamped, so I thought I should share my experience.

neilric99

Full time elf
I really does depend on what you order. He does keep some stock items and so do the manufactures that he uses. Sometimes he needs to wait for it to be made available to him.

thevikester

Apprentice elf
Louie, being in Florida, after seeing this list, and before reading the last part of your statement (It wasn't all for You) I was excited to come see your display! That looked like a kick ass amount of goods!
nutz4lights said:
Being all the way over in Florida has caused some pretty high shipping rates for me...

Order #1 $160 shipping on $615 order (26%)
Order #2 $280 shipping on $1600 order (18%)
Order #3 $170 shipping on $1060 order (16%)
Order #4 $800 shipping on $4400 order (18%)
Order #5 $230 shipping on $1075 order (21%)

... but the highest percentage one was back in January of this year... of course, there was a ton of 2-core and 3-core cords in that one... heavy copper weight...

... no not all that was for me... and I made a mistake on order #2 and had to re-order a good portion of what was in that order as order #3.

-Louie