silicon tubes or silicon coating?

Porsche

Full time elf
Im just about to place an order for WS2801's strips.
I'll be using these strips for borders around the windows and for Arches.
I did read that the silicon tubes were a little difficult to cut accurately??
Can anyone advise which is better to work with?? and which would be best for what im intending to use them for?
Thanks heaps
Phil

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
I use 2811's in the silicon tube and have no problems cutting. The tube will stretch a bit to let you get your soldering done and then snap back. Just make sure you seal the ends.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Porsche said:
Im just about to place an order for WS2801's strips.
I'll be using these strips for borders around the windows and for Arches.
I did read that the silicon tubes were a little difficult to cut accurately??
Can anyone advise which is better to work with?? and which would be best for what im intending to use them for?
Thanks heaps
Phil

First thing is why have you chosen the 2801 over the 2811, the price is far cheaper for the 2811 and both the j1sys and sandevices controllers support the 2811 so just something you may have not considered

I have come full circle, i started using tube then went to solid and have now gone back to silicone tube. The reason being I find the tube is far easier to work with, cut and repair. The solid silicone even though is stronger and has better light dispersing properties than the tube, i have found that these advanatages didnt outweigh the advantages of the tube, which is cheaper, easier to work with and once attached to conduit or a substrate are very durable. I also find that the silicone tube doesnt discolour in the sun like the solid silicone has

So just my reasons and thoughts, but i would seriously consider the 2811 as this is cheaper than the 2801 and is the same colour bit level (8bit) as the 2801.

Porsche

Full time elf
Hi Eddy, I didnt consider the 2811's actually.
Correct me if Im wrong. 2801's have 12 Ics per m that control 36 LEDS. So 1 IC will control 3 LEDS??
The 2811's have 30 ics to control 30 LEDS. so each LED is individually controlled?

If that is the case, then your right. Maybe I do need to go back and revisit.

Beefer

Apprentice elf
yep, they're the right ones :) I just ordered a bunch - they're excellent.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I would just like to mention here that my 11 month test on some strips for sealants outside in the weather showed that the strip that was covered with the silicone tubing showed significantly less clouding up than the strip which was just encased by the solid coating.
The solid coating turned opaque to the point that you can not even see the LEDs on the strip anymore whereas the silicone tubing cover kept the strip much clearer over the 11 months outside.
I would strongely recommend that anyone who is going to buy strips, but them in the silicone tubing. It may take a bit more to work with it (but is not that bad) but you will gain in the longevity of your strips by using it as well as the added protection it provides as well. Certainly worth it.
As they say, a picture speaks a thousand words. So here is a picture I just now took of the strips. As you can see, the top strip is the one encased in the silicone tubing and is in much better shape after the test.

Attachments

• rgbstrip.jpg
    rgbstrip.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 68

remoteutah

Full time elf
Just for grins the other day, I ran my strip (in silicone tubing) underwater!!! Adds an interesting effect when the lights are off and the are running under the water. Would look real cool in a white 5 gallon bucket!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Ray Wu also sells the silicone tube and end caps separately. If you were keen you could carefully replace the tubing after a few seasons.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Porsche said:
Forget my last post Eddy. I found these ones in Ray's store.
10 Ics per m 30 Leds.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html
They are much cheaper.
thanks heaps for your input.

I have used 20 of these perosanally im my display for 2012 and found them to be of great quality and awsome value. You can actually get it in a few different configurations. See this thread for comparisons http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3812.msg33107.html#msg33107

anon

Apprentice elf
I had tube for RGB pixels and solid for dumb RGB strip. The solid silicon easily parts company with the backing strip and LEDs if bent too far or twisted. I'd only consider solid if it were to be a permanent fixture (e.g. behind pelmets and such) and wasn't being constantly taken down and put up. I never had an issue bending/cutting/joining tube.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
anon said:
I had tube for RGB pixels and solid for dumb RGB strip. The solid silicon easily parts company with the backing strip and LEDs if bent too far or twisted. I'd only consider solid if it were to be a permanent fixture (e.g. behind pelmets and such) and wasn't being constantly taken down and put up. I never had an issue bending/cutting/joining tube.

Just curious if this strip only had the coating on the top, because this strip is know to fail and part away from the PCB.

There is the full jacket solid silicone which makes the strip more durable as far as strength is concerned, this wont peel away, but may yellow over time compared to the silicone tube.

But if your wanting the solid silicone coating then i would ask Ray if he can provide the IP68 coating in a 2811 strip

anon

Apprentice elf
The solid stuff from Ray wu, but it was for dumb strip (RGB driven, not pixels).

Eddy it was only on the top so failed in the common way. I guess another case in point to avoid that style.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
anon said:
The solid stuff from Ray wu, but it was for dumb strip (RGB driven, not pixels).

Eddy it was only on the top so failed in the common way. I guess another case in point to avoid that style.

Yes thats the type i expected that would have failed, thanks for the confirmation as your just one more I know of who has suffered the same results.