1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Smart Power Plugs

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by OzAz, Jun 12, 2019 at 2:39 PM.

Tags:
  1. OzAz

OzAz Senior Elf Generous Elf

Following discussions on chat, here's some more links to "Smart Plugs".
    These can be operated via WiFi (usually via a mobile App) and/or via Google Home or Amazon Alexa smart home type devices.
    They can be a handy way to remotely power up/down your controllers and power supplies. Some have a scheduling function so you can just schedule your show equipment to power up before show time, then power down after.

D-Link They were purchasable from Officeworks but only via click-and-collect, about $80 for 2.
    Brilliant Bunnings $19.95
    TP-Link From Officeworks $28
    Mirabella genio Kmart $29

Disclaimer:
    Just examples, not endorsements

Stirlo and djgra79 like this.
  2. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass! Community Project Designer Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Some of those units *may* be able to be reflashed with the Tasmota firmware. It has some nice scheduling functions that can take sunset and sunrise into account.

3. Cranzy

Cranzy New Elf

The Brilliant smart plug from bunnings you can flash Tasmota on it over the air. So that is nice. The TpLink one (hs110) has power monitoring - so you can tell if something is on.. for example, a washing machine (as you can monitor the consumption)

4. daunce

daunce Apprentice Elf

Always check Ozbargain for deals. There's a few for HS-100. $22.75 at Officeworks with 'Price beat' against Bunnings. These don't do power monitoring, so they're a bit cheaper. I've got a couple, and used them on the indoor Christmas tree lights. https://www.ozbargain.com.au/product/tp-link-hs100

[Edit. These do require an internet connection to set up (Initially for DNS and NTP). You can register them using the Kasa mobile app, or if the plugs are on the same layer 2 network as the mobile app, you can use them without registering them]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 3:09 PM
  5. Cranzy

Cranzy New Elf

Agreed to find the bargains. For $20 i would go with plug and flash tasmota on it so it doesnt require a connection to the internet and being on local network (security wise)

6. bpratt

bpratt Apprentice Elf

tasmota ? ... sounds interesting..... I've got an unused tp-link HS100 sitting here doing nothing at the moment... would be nice to use it to turn on my psu's.